Red Summer Wheat Recipe Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
So I've started formulating a reddish hoppy american wheat recipe. Basically my own take on Three Floyd's Gumballhead.

Partial Mash @ 155 for 90 min w/ 9.0 quarts (sparge with 5 quarts)
1 lb Red Wheat
.5 lb Cara Wheat
maybe .5 Torrified Wheat?
1.5 lbs of Rye
3 lbs of 2 Row

4 lbs of Wheat DME

.5 oz of Columbus or 1 oz Centennial (FWH)
1 oz of Amarillo (15 min)
1 oz of Amarillo (5 min)
Dry hopped with more amarillo?

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

I only have beertools.com access and there's no red wheat or torrified wheat on there.

This looks tasty, I think it might be a try on our next go. I'm plugging it into BeerTools myself to see how it looks. Let us know how it turns out. Looks like it will have a nice rich flavor and some smoke tones.

as i noted in another thread, this beer isnt going to get made until the end of may, so let me know how it goes.
i think it sounds in theory like a good recipe but ive no experience with red wheat or torrified wheat, im guessing that its not really going to end up like Three Floyd's Gumball Head but I can dream.

I made a red rye recipe once, it turned out nice. I don't have access to red rye or wheat either except through AHS, so I went with the darker munich and crystal 80 to get my 12srm.
Hops, well thats up to you and what you want out of the beer. When i make it this time around, I think I might just use cascade.

Red Rye
Mash Temp: 154
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
IBU: 25
ABV: 5.3%
Loviblond: 12
7.25lbs 2-row
2lbs Rye
1lb Munich (20L)
.75lb Crystal 80
.25oz Columbus @ 13% 60mins