Red Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kye77

Reaction score
So I've been brewing light colored beers for the past few months and am tired of seeing it in my fridge lol.
Been looking into brewing a nice red saison (if there is such a thing).
2.5 gallon batch.
Here is a recipe I made just from researching different malts. Let me know what you think. I've never used any of these malts before so I could be over my head.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1499092672.723511.jpg

The crystal 120 is probably unnecessary, but I'd say keep everything else. Was thinking about doing something like this myself for the fall!

I remember a post a while back of someone doing a Raspberry Saison and it had a nice red color from the berries. I put it in my notes for a future brew. Just a thought!

I agree that the crystal 120 feels unnecessary. For me, even the Special B is not really what I'd want, since crystal malts just work against the goal of dryness. I'd replace those with a bit more aromatic malt and some dark Candi syrup (syrup, not sugar) if it were my brew. Obviously, you may feel differently. Generally, though, I think it looks quite delicious!

I would drop both the 120 and Special B, perhaps in favor for some Vienna and some piloncillo....and not trying to change your recipe however i'm also not a fan of your hop selection. That being said, i'm sure the beer would be tasty

Sweet. I'll drop the 120 haha. Lower the special B. Kinda hard to get a red color and keep it dry I suppose. Ill look into Vienna and dark candy syrup as options.

And I have centennial and sterling from past brews so I threw it in. I might just go with only sterling.

Sweet. I'll drop the 120 haha. Lower the special B. Kinda hard to get a red color and keep it dry I suppose. Ill look into Vienna and dark candy syrup as options.

The Candi syrup is perfect for that. It adds flavor and a nice, dark color, while at the same time being basically fully fermentable, thus not contributing residual sugars. I use it in all my saisons, dubbels/tripels/quads, and even some other styles where it isn't so traditional. Obviously, the wort color depends on which color syrup you get, since the 5 Lovibond stuff will keep it pale while the 180 L will darken it up quite effectively.

The level of Special B is fine, in my opinion, so long as you drop the 120. Unless you're trying to make a Saison that is red but doesn't taste red, I think it's fine to buck convention a bit with those types of ingredients. When I make a Red IPA, I intentionally use more flavorful malts and/or crystal than a regular IPA because I want it to taste different from a regular IPA. Otherwise, I feel like there's no point in it being red. I don't think 2 oz. will hurt anything, French Saison will dry it out real nice. That being said, I agree with JordanKnudson that candi sugar may be a good choice because you get color, flavor, and high fermentability.

Back