Red Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Melana brewed a rye IPA last weekend, and talking to her made me want to do it too.

I normally like to go to 20% rye in mine, but I only have four pounds of rye malt. I have an abundance of columbus hops (like several POUNDS), so I want to use those.

Here's what I"m thinking:
10.5 gallon batch
RO water, mash pH projected to be 5.29
Batch sparge, for about 72% efficiency
OG 1.065
IBUs: 74

15.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
5.00 g Calcium Chloride
19 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 72.2 %
4 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4 15.2 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %
1 lbs Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.8 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.9 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.9 %
1.0 oz Blackprinz (500.0 SRM) Grain 9 0.2 %

1.00 oz Magnum Leaf [16.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min FWH bHop 10 25.1 IBUs
2.00 oz 7 C's Falconers Flight [10.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 17.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 18.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 13 10.8 IBUs
1.00 oz 7 C's Falconers Flight [10.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 14 3.1 IBUs
California Ale yeast White Labs #WLP001)

Not sure about dryhopping yet- I have centennial and citra in addition to tons of columbus.

I'm working on a recipe right now for my next batch...it's pretty damn close to yours.

looks good to me...what's your expected SRM?

my grainbill is:
pale ale 68%
rye 16%
carapils 6%
c60 4%
dextrose 3%
aromatic 2%
midnight wheat 1%

expected SRM 13

i'm not going to post the hop schedule...it's overly complicated due to wanting to use up most of my 2014 hops, but it features citra, amarillo, chinook, simcoe and centennial.

planning to fement half with 007 half with conan (maybe)

i think that's the sweet spot. in my head i can picture a deep (bright) red color... i want the aroma and flavor to be citrus and pine.

i think that's the sweet spot. in my head i can picture a deep (bright) red color... i want the aroma and flavor to be citrus and pine.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Some sweet caramel notes, but not too many, balanced with citrus and pine and then spicy rye notes. :ban:

Looks like itll be similar to Sierra Nevadas retired Ruthless Rye if you've ever come across one of those

That sounds pretty good. I love a good rye IPA. I brew them often. I like the idea of a red one.

My favorite uses Chinook and Centennial. Nice combo with the rye. I have found the Denny's Favorite WY1450 works extremely well with rye for some reason.

That sounds pretty good. I love a good rye IPA. I brew them often. I like the idea of a red one.

My favorite uses Chinook and Centennial. Nice combo with the rye. I have found the Denny's Favorite WY1450 works extremely well with rye for some reason.

I have that strain, I think, but I don't know how old it is and have no time now for a starter. :( I wish I had that of that myself!

Yooper, do you have any experience with the Red X malt? I was thinking ahead about a red rye IPA and heard things about the Red X but nothing from personal experience.

Either way, I now have another of your recipes bookmarked. I wonder what percentage of all the HBT bookmarks I have are your recipes... I bet a good 25%, at least.

:)

Yooper, do you have any experience with the Red X malt? I was thinking ahead about a red rye IPA and heard things about the Red X but nothing from personal experience.

Either way, I now have another of your recipes bookmarked. I wonder what percentage of all the HBT bookmarks I have are your recipes... I bet a good 25%, at least.

:)

No, I've never used it. I've been thinking of it. I've been on a red beer kick, sort of- Bob loves reddish colored IPAs (but not sweet) and I make quite a few American ambers (reds) that I hop up as well. But I still haven't ever used it!

I am flattered that you love the recipes- I've been really working on designing recipes for about 8 years and am very happy with them.

IMG_4026[1].jpg

color of the wort in the MLT- it's nice and red!

I'd use Centennial for anything. Columbus is great too. You *could* bitter with it if you just want to use it up.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Centennial and Citra. I think you got a real nice recipe going there! I'm going to have to remember to try this one out next time I need an IPA. I've got too much beer in the pipes right now though. Just brewed a half-batch of maple porter last night and I've got plenty of small batches planned for the next couple of weeks. And I'm the only one in my house drinking beer! The guys at work are probably going to be happy.

Didn't know you BIAB?

I don't- not really. :D What happened is my grainbed kept compacting, and so I tried new false bottoms and all sorts of things, but finally asked @Wilserbrewer to make me a bag for BIAB. I still do everything traditionally, but no more does my pump pull a vacuum and no more grainbed compaction. Today I used 15% rye, and didn't even have to think about rice hulls. It makes clean up easier too, but I cannot lift and squeeze the bag so it just goes out via the tippy dump and then it's dumped in the compost.

I'd use Centennial for anything. Columbus is great too. You *could* bitter with it if you just want to use it up.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Centennial and Citra. I think you got a real nice recipe going there! I'm going to have to remember to try this one out next time I need an IPA. I've got too much beer in the pipes right now though. Just brewed a half-batch of maple porter last night and I've got plenty of small batches planned for the next couple of weeks. And I'm the only one in my house drinking beer! The guys at work are probably going to be happy.

I have citra and centennial, and I'm thinking that for the dryhopping it might be exactly right.

We have a decent amount of beer, but I want to take three kegs to Texas (in less than 2 months!) so I have got to brew twice more before then. Plus, with the trip to Disney world coming up, I won't brew for at least 10-12 days at that time.

I just dryhopped this, using 2 ounces of amarillo and 2 ounces of columbus.

I racked over pellet hops, so it's in carboys now looking beautiful. I'll keg this on Wednesday or Thursday. It has a great taste, but it needs more citrus and dank so that's why I chose amarillo and columbus.

I just dryhopped this, using 2 ounces of amarillo and 2 ounces of columbus.

I racked over pellet hops, so it's in carboys now looking beautiful. I'll keg this on Wednesday or Thursday. It has a great taste, but it needs more citrus and dank so that's why I chose amarillo and columbus.

how did it turn out? just dryhopped mine citra/amarillo/chinook ...calculated srm was about 14, but the sample looked darker...hoping it just needs some time to settle out.

This looks like a great recipe! I'm excited to try it. I'm subbing out the 7Cs and Columbus for a combo of Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe, since I want to brew tomorrow and that's what in my freezer.

I've been having pretty good success with BIAB partigyling. Gonna put the crystal malts in a separate, smaller bag in the big grain bag and pull those out. I'll recharge the base grains with another pound of rye malt and 4lbs of 2-row, and do a rye saison with harvested DuPont yeast.

Looks like itll be similar to Sierra Nevadas retired Ruthless Rye if you've ever come across one of those

Didn't realize they retired that one. Disappointing - it was a good one. New Belgium Red Hoptober was another one I miss.

Back