Red or Clear CO2 hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
Mine are clear, but I see a lot of red. I've always preferred clear hose just so I can see inside it. But, is the red better?

Red makes the beer taste more fresh... :drunk:

Just kidding, unless there is some difference in pressure rating, not going to make a difference.

The color difference is just to differentiate between your gas and liquid lines. I like the red color as I think it looks cool, and it makes it easier to quickly ID what lines are which.

15yrs ago when I was brewing and kegging my first time around everything was clear. I thought there may be a difference in these new fancy colors :) So, I'll stick with the clear that I have. There is a thread here about the different beer lines, but I'll stick with what I have for now.

I got the chance to brew in a local brewery a couple months ago. They used the blue lines for their serving pressure and red for a high pressure force carbonation.

For homebrew systems clear tubing gives you the advantage of spotting beer that may be accidentally pushed back into your gas lines from the keg (it happens). With a red line you will never know.

For others I have replaced old red tubing that had some nasty mold from beer that the owner never knew was in there....for years likely. :mad:

Some of mine are black. I use 3/16" beer line and 1/4" barbs for both liquid and gas lines and buy the tubing in bulk. Makes things easy to change and nothing will ever leak. Color of the lines doesn't matter beyond preference. Diameter of the line doesn't matter on the gas side, as long as it doesn't leak.

I use the clear PVC for gas and the semiopaque ultra barrier for beer. There is no way of mistaking them. The reason I use clear on the gas side is to be able to spot backflows in the case of a failure on the check valves.

I like the different colors for differentiating between my 2 kegs. But on the flip note I like clear for being able to see if I am getting beer in my co2 lines. Not an issue with sankes but I have had some issues with cornies. I need to install some one way valves. So you need to decide what is important in your set up.

Latest posts

Back