American Barleywine Red Kettle Big Bad Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxhophead

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Safale US-05 at bottling
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Mahogany Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6-7 Days 70º
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days 70º
13 lb Light Liquid Malt Extract
2 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

Hops
2oz Simcoe Hops (60 min)
2oz Centennial Hops (30 and 15 min)
(Somewhere around 70.6 IBU according to the Tinseth method)

Grains
¼ lb Victory
¼ lb Munich
¼ lb Crystal 40
¼ lb Crystal 120

1 tsp Irish Moss (45 min)
2 11.5g packages of Fermentis Safale US-05

Steep grains for 30 min at 150° in 1.5 gallons of water, sparge with 2 quarts of 150° water. Remove from heat, add extract and dextrose and stir until dissolved and then bring it to a boil. Add 2oz Simcoe at the beginning of boil, 1 tsp Irish Moss at 45 min, 1oz centennial at 30 min and 1oz Centennial at 15 min. Chill wort add to fermenter, top up to 5 gallons with water and pitch starter. I should mention that I made a 3 liter starter with one package of yeast and pitched another dry. I also added another rehydrated package at bottling just to make sure there was enough live yeast to carbonate.

I'm curious, how well did the S-05 handle a wort with such a high OG? (Obviously, you have a decent FG, so it worked well in the end.) Did you have any issues with stuck fermentations, and what were your aerating methods?

The reason I am asking, is that I am planning on doing a barleywine of similar gravity using S-05 soon, but I was planning on stepping up my wort with an additional sugar addition later to avoid having a really high OG.

Chaos_Being said:
I'm curious, how well did the S-05 handle a wort with such a high OG? (Obviously, you have a decent FG, so it worked well in the end.) Did you have any issues with stuck fermentations, and what were your aerating methods?

The reason I am asking, is that I am planning on doing a barleywine of similar gravity using S-05 soon, but I was planning on stepping up my wort with an additional sugar addition later to avoid having a really high OG.

I didn't have any problem with stuck fermentation at all but I made a 3 liter starter with 2 packages of yeast.

Thanks for the reply :) I read through your blog too, pretty good stuff. I've been meaning to do the same...it sure would beat my handwritten brew-note book. I type a lot better than I write with a pen anyways, hehe.

This looks good, and I'm planning on trying this recipe for my next brew. Does anyone have any tasting notes or advice regarding this recipe?

Thanks,
Brad

Bringing this from the dead. Has anyone made it and have tasting notes?

Is it worth making is all I'm basically asking?

I was wanting some tasting notes as well. I guess 5 years is a long time for someone to remember how a beer tasted haha. Looks like a good recipe although a total of #1 of steeping grains seems light for such a big beer. I would use #1/2 of victory to boost that bready / chewy flavor and #1/2 of crystal 40 for more caramel. I like a lot of malt presence in a barleywine. This would also balance out the 70ibu a little better.

Back