Red IPA yeast suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yungalb

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am thinking of brewing a red IPA, I have my recipe ready but I have not decided which yeast to use yet. I want my beer crystal clear, will use irish moss in the boil and cold crash before bottling. I have a WLP067 Coastal Haze slurry in my fridge, is it possible to make a clear beer with that yeast? Or should I use another yeast strain? Thanks in advance.

This ones easy.......Notty makes a great red IPA. Pitch at 60* let it rise to 64* and hold till krausen starts to fall then raise to 68* to finish. You don't need to be able to cold crash with Notty for a clear transfer to bottle or keg. You should be able to package it at 14 days, I let most of my ferments go 21 days. Not sure why but all of them , Beer, Booch , Kraut all take ~21 days in my house. If you can't control your temps the Lutra strain of Kveik should work,but I'm on my first beer with this one so no results yet.

This ones easy.......Notty makes a great red IPA. Pitch at 60* let it rise to 64* and hold till krausen starts to fall then raise to 68* to finish. You don't need to be able to cold crash with Notty for a clear transfer to bottle or keg. You should be able to package it at 14 days, I let most of my ferments go 21 days. Not sure why but all of them , Beer, Booch , Kraut all take ~21 days in my house. If you can't control your temps the Lutra strain of Kveik should work,but I'm on my first beer with this one so no results yet.
I always had muted hop flavour with notty and a lot of other folks also complained about that. If that's no problem for you and you are able to ferment relatively cool, it's a great yeast.

Otherwise, I would go with Pacific ale, which is like a fruity us 05. Us05 would certainly also work, bit would need a bit longer to clear.

Back