Red Hook Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
last night i had a Red Hook Eisbock that was fantastic. I don't think it is illegal to make any more, they are selling it in the grocery store in NH. 11% alcohol.

anyone know a recipe for an Eisbock made with extract? I really want to make one, but I'm pretty new to brewing.

Just because they sell it doesnt mean its not illegal to make per se, they could have just gotten a licence to do it. But if you want to make one I'd be more than happy to help you come up with a recipe, let me think on it a while...

Kaboom

They covered this on an episode of the Jamil Show. You can download it on iTunes for free. Read the recipe but definitely listen to the show as he goes over the actual process on how to do it.

Also this is an eisbock that his friend got a perfect (50 point) score with at nationals... which was also brewed from extract.

Thanks for the headsup homebrewtastic!! I'll have to check it out and try to come up with the AG version. We get some -20 cold spells here this time of year and that ought to do the trick!

He said the trick was to have two kegs. One with the eisbock and one empty. You put the eisbock in your freezer, and after the first hour shake it every 20 minutes and listen for ice crystals. You don't want it to freeze solid, so shake it frequently. Then hook up the kegs outline to outline and then push it through. The beer will transfer, the ice will stay behind.

wow, just got home from the bar, you guys are great! I'm downloading the podcast now. thanks for the recipe homebrewtastic.

Let me know what you think up rambler. I'm excited about this.

I have thought up a few issues.

1) if I don't have a keg system, will I be able to carbonate a beer that is 11% alcohol in bottles? or will the yeast not be able to survive? ... they say in the podcast that freezing kills the yeast.

2) I haven't brewed a lager before. How do you control your fermentation temperature from 40-50F for a long period of time?

Yes you will have to intro some new yeast if you want to bottle condition that sucker. You will just have to do a little homework as to which one will fit your flavor profile the best. My first thought is Eau de Vie

Im just sitting down to formulate the recipe. I have never brewed a bock so im really starting from scratch. I found an Einbecker recipe that looks like a good place to start.

Wait a minute, what was I thinking t. This sounds like a golden opportunity to buy a kegging system, I mean you "need" it right!

Yeah some day I have to get a keg system. Not sure if its gonna happen for this project in time. if i cant carbonate it, i might just keep my beer in secondary until I can afford it.

What did you think about the Steve's 50 Eisbock extract recipe from the podcast?
I'm going to do some reading about yeast tonight.

Honestly i didnt pay it much attention. Not because i dont like it or anyhting but i havent brewed extract for years. I have at least the beginnings of an AG recipe drawn up now. I think i will post it in the recipe forum and let the collective critique and offer suggestions

FYI - Its not an Eisbock. I talked to the Redhook rep at Seattle's Winter Beer Fest where they were pooring it. They simply make a strong beer and (I quote) "Freeze Condition it" ---- IE lager it. They are not removing ice to increase the ABV. Its a marketing gimmick.

oh no! really? i have done so much eisbock research. Im kind of stuck on it now, but heart broken that that wasn't an eisbock, it really did taste great to me.

I emailed white labs and they told me to repitch with WLP 001 for bottle conditioning my eisbock.

Can anyone explain the process of repitching to me? should i use yeast nutrient? should i oxygenate the beer again (do i want aerobic fermentation or anaerobic) for my bottle conditioning? should i use a normal priming solution? he told me i should stir the yeast in.

Well now isn't that clever. Well that doesnt mean we cant make a real one, does it?

.. I'm still making it (Trying to). I live in NH, Live free or die. Any help on how to repitch? also I have no idea on how long to ferment, secondary and bottle condition for (as i posted on the beginners forum)

Back