Red flaked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMJ

Reaction score
I went to the lhbs today to get the ingredients for biermunchers "Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit. When I got there the only flaked wheat they had was almost $3 a pound. I didnt want to pay that much considering I can get it at less than half that online and there are other things I need to order to make it worth while for the shipping. Just incase I checked with another lhbs that is not too far away and they have red flaked wheat in bulk but only sell the regular stuff by the pound for like $2.30.

Should I just buy the flaked for $2.30 a pound or will the red flaked be suitable. If its only going to change the color of the beer I dont mind but I dont wanna change the flavor. I really want to brew this weekend and cant if I get it shipped.

Um, red wheat has a bitter seed coat which will add tannins to your beer - so it depends on the style. It doesn't add alot of colour, but it's also a bit harder to mash with (forms gluten easier); it's really up to you!. If you can get torrified or malted, I usually prefer those to flaked, but the flaked should work just fine if you're not using more than 10-15% in your grain bill. Luck on your brew!

As far as a recipe:
(For 11 gallons)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

1.25 ounces of Sterlnig Hops at 60 minutes (I just use whatever clean bittering hop I can find since it plays such a minimal role)

6-7 ounces fresh orange zest - 10 minutes
2 ounces of freshly crushed (pulverized) coriander - 10 minutes
1-2 Tbsp of crushed black pepper - 10 minutes
4 chamomile tea bags - 10 minutes

OG - 1.048
IBU - Somewhere around 17-18

I poured the spice mixes into the hop bag with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Then I tied off that bag and let it sink to the bottom of the kettle as I cooled the wort. I wanted to let those spices (and hops) steep for the extra 15 minutes.

Thats the recipe so much more than 15% of the grain bill. I guess I will just wait and order it.

Back