Red Delicious Cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaCruzin

Reaction score
Hi - I am relatively new to cider making and have a few questions
I have access to pure red delicious juice from a friends orchard, would this be better than store bought? That is all he harvests, but from what have seen most brewers use a blend of apples. Would I just be better off with some Kirkland apple juice?
I am planning on using SO4 yeast and would like to ferment till dry, does anyone on here know about what it's fg will be? I am shooting for a cider at about 7% abv and am wondering if I should add some sugar before I start fermentation.
I also would like to add some honey flavor, what is the best way to do this? I wont to bottle carb so just add ___ honey per bottle (more than enough to keep the yeasties happy) then pasteurize once my test bottles are good? And if that is right, does anyone know how many grams of sugar per bottle would be good to both add some honey flavor and fully carb?

Thanks

What is he using to pollinate his red dels? If you are lucky they might be using crabs and you could talk them into picking a few of those for you? WVMJ

Back