Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modix

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone knew of a way of making a hoppy red with extract. Would you have to do a partial mash to get the color and malt flavor?

No way, you can do that with extract and steeping grains just fine, but if you want it to be hoppy you're probably looking for an American amber instead of an irish red. You looking for a recipe?

I'd appreciate one if you had one on hand. Was looking for something similar to Red Seal.

I just did Austin Homebrews Texas Red partial mash. It is pretty good, nice red color with a good hop finish.

I will be taking the first test of my Brewer's Best Red Ale kit tonight. I think the steeping grains were crystal 60 and black patent, with either light and/or amber extract. Not much hops in it though

That looks great, Coastarine, thanks. Would you be offended if I doubled the bittering hops?

Of course not, I was actually going to recommend adding some hops based on what you were asking for. Although if you want my advice, I think instead of 2oz cascade I'd go with 1oz of a higher a-acid hop, centennial would probably be good. Assuming a 3gal boil, by my numbers that brings you from about 31 IBU (.526 BU:GU, or "balanced") to about 47 IBU (.796 BU:GU, or "extra bitter").

I think this recipe could handle it. You can use a chart like BierMuncher's seen here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/orange-kolsch-ag-ex-30918/ to see if you're going overboard on IBUs.

For reference a 2.5 gallon boil brings the numbers down to 29 and 44.

Latest posts

Back