Red Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, after some research, and looking to see what I had in my ingredient cooler, I've come up with the following recipe. Tell me what you think. . .Criticism, critique, etc., is welcome. . .

This is the inaugural batch for my new brew sculpture. :rockin:

Firehouse Red Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B American Ale, American Amber Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 17 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 24.00
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.56
Anticipated SRM: 16.2
Anticipated IBU: 47.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 11.76 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG 13.33 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
62.5 15.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
16.7 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
10.4 2.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
4.2 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
4.2 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
2.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 16.5 60 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 14.1 45 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 6.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 5.6 15 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 3.5 5 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.0 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Burton On Trent
Profile known for: Strong Pale Ales

Calcium(Ca): 268.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 62.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 30.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 638.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 36.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 141.0 ppm

pH: 8.33

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs: 24.00
Water Qts: 12.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.13 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.52 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 122 Time: 30
Intermediate Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp : 155 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.05 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I did a Imperial Red Ale w/ everything you mentioned except I went with only 90l crystal and added a bit of chocolate malt for color only. I also only used 4.5 oz of various hops and pitched a wlp yeast blend . Going into secondary today and looking awsome this was a mash extract that should mimick Lagunitas IRA. Good luck and happy brewing.

I got the Amarillo idea from a Three Floyd's Brian Boru I had the other day... Research indicated that it had Amarillo in it. . .I've never used this hop myself. I'm not really trying to replicate the Brian Boru (although I'd like to in the futuer--hence my other thread which noone has had any input), but I did like the character of the Amarillo hops.

I've also never used Centennial. . . who HASN'T used Centennials:)

Another idea is to save an oz or 2 and dry hop that red ale in the secondary, I do this on all my IPA, Imperials etc. This alows for a huge aroma and makes the hoppiness last a little longer in the bottle !

Yeah, good idea. . .I got so wrapped up in trying to figure out the hop bill that I forgot about dry hopping. I have Cascades, EKG's, and several other varieties for dry hopping.

I didn't realize you were doing a 10 gal batch, better make that 3-4 oz for the dry hopp. If you have never used Saaz for Aroma you should ,all I have to say is awsome!

i like german hops in a red ale, with a little citrussy american hops at the end for some brightness, but nothing overpowering.

Well, the more I look at this recipe, the more I wonder if it is too hoppy. . . the last pale I produced about 48 IBU's. . . and it's pretty bitter. I like the hop aroma, so maybe I'll get rid of some of the hops at the beginning of the boil. Suggestions welcome.

I haven't used Centennials or Amarillos before, so I don't really know what I'm getting in to. I just know of beers that have implemented them, and I want to capture some of that.

well i'm too tired to put it in pro-mash, but i'd consider cutting the 30 and 45 min. additions and changing the centennials to a german type hop to start with. and tinker with it to get it down to about 25-30 IBUs, red ales ahould have a real nice balance without being overwhelmingly hoppy or malty.

I agree. .. I want a good caramel/toffee note, balanced by hops, not overwhelmed by them. IBU's in the 30's at most sounds better. I'll play around with promash tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Biermann said:
I agree. .. I want a good caramel/toffee note, balanced by hops, not overwhelmed by them. IBU's in the 30's at most sounds better. I'll play around with promash tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Ok, here's what I've come up with. . .(10 gallon batch)

Centennials 1 oz at 60 minutes
Amarillo 1 oz at 15 minutes
Amarillo 1 oz at 5 minutes
Cascades 1 oz at 5 minutes
Cascades 2 oz dry hop

IBU 33 and change, which seems more palatable.

i personally would not dry hop anymore (or at all). not that dry hopping wouldn't be nice, but late kettle adds should do the trick with a red ale. i know you want some floral nose, and i'm actually drinking a red ale right now that has a floral quality, but it is perfectly balanvced against the caramel notes. you just don't want to overwhelm it with hops is what i'm saying. i had a red ale that was too highly hopped a few months back at a fest and it just didn't have that smooth sessionable quality that a red ale should have. however the beauty of homebrewing is you can make it what you want, so do what yoou feel is right, but i'd start with your kettle additions and try it before dry hopping.

Back