Red Ale Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hello!

I went ahead and brewed my second batch of beer! I tried out the Red Ale kit. The brewing process the second time around was so much easier and I felt like the time was cut in half! I really did not run into any problems except for my continuing siphoning problems, GAH! I just do it the old fashioned way and starting the stream is so hard, i find i am drinking more than I should, lol. Im afraid im going to taint the beer with all my difficulties on this batch during the siphoning process :( Any comments/ help?

Either than that, im pumped about my second batch!

Does anybody have any suggestions for my next batch that might help me learn some new techniques and ingredients? Ive done American Style Micro Pale Ale, and now Red Ale.

Thanks!

Cheers:mug:

Invest in an auto-siphon, it'll be the best money you ever spend. As far as your next batch, what do you like? IPAs allow you to learn about different hops, while certain types of beers like belgians will give you a better understanding of different types of yeasts.

auto-siphon.jpg

hooray for auto-siphon! best money you'll ever spend.

I agree buy an auto siphon - but i used to suck on the end for about the first 35 gallons i brewed - just give it a good suck (i know that sounds horrible) and by the time he beer is close to your mouth it should be flowing. Just make sure the bucket your siphoning from is high above whatever you are racking too

cheers

Another trick is have the syhoning hose filled with water with it pinched at the end. Release the hose and the water will flow out, sucking the beer behind it. Only downside here is you have to have a seperate cup or pail to pour the water into and then stick the hose in the bottling bucket or secondary when the beer starts flowing.
Personally, I did this for awhile, now I just give myself a mouth wash with vodka and suck away. Never had any problems...well, with the beer anyway.

I bought a turkey baster a while back to get hyrdo samples and found that it makes a pretty nice siphon starter. I'm not sure what the auto-siphon's cost or how easy they are to use but it can't be much easier than using a sanitized turkey baster.

alright, in the mean time i guess ill just keep doing it the old fashioned way, but i will invest in a auto siphon one of these days. Thanks for the help!

Cheers:mug:

Back