Recycling oak cubes from winemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

redfish-bluefish

Reaction score
I'm going to be racking a Cabernet off of oak cubes today, and am considering holding on to the oak for use in a future beer. I see plenty of posts about soaking cubes in wine, but haven't turned up much about recycling them from winemaking. Does anyone have experience with this? My concern is that at this stage the wine is quite young and not at all developed.

Thoughts?

Steveruch

Reaction score
I'm going to be racking a Cabernet off of oak cubes today, and am considering holding on to the oak for use in a future beer. I see plenty of posts about soaking cubes in wine, but haven't turned up much about recycling them from winemaking. Does anyone have experience with this? My concern is that at this stage the wine is quite young and not at all developed.

Thoughts?
Some breweries do use wine barrels to age beer so using wine soaked cubes should work.

OP
R

redfish-bluefish

Reaction score
Thank you. I think my concern is just what you say: they use oak barrels to age. The kits add the cubes at an early stage when the wine is, quite frankly, terrible. The more I think about it, the more I am pretty sure I don't want that in my beer. Unless someone has some good experience informing otherwise.

bkboiler

Reaction score
i've had several darker beers aged in wine barrels which turned out amazing! i'd say go for it! you're not mixing young wine with beer, but rather just repurposing the oak itself! it's got the tannins and acid, which is what you want!

radwizard

Reaction score
I recycle and repurpose oak cubes that I have used for various beers. Sometimes I soak them in wine before re-using them. I try and keep track of what bacteria and yeasts I have used the cubes in previously. If the oakiness fades and you wnat some more, you can add fresh ones later.

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Reaction score
I suggest tossing them in a jar of another similar, but better, wine for storage until you want to use them in beer.