Recreating a second runnings ale from a partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biomed

Reaction score
I recently brewed an imperial stout and a coconut session stout in a partigyle. I havent tasted the imperial stout yet, but the coconut stout is phenomenal. I would like some insight on how to re-brew the coconut stout by itself.

My current logic is to take the compliment of my efficiency for the first runnings (1 - 0.63) and multiply the original grain bill by this number.

I also added some additional roasted and crystal malts at sparge and I was just going to add them to the adjusted grain bill above, lb. for lb.

To reinforce my logic, I am assuming that whatever fermentables, etc., that went into the first runnings are reflected in the efficiency of the mash (0.63) which I dialed in based on volume and o.g., and the remaining sugars, as well as the additional grains, are going to be extracted at my typical efficiency.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Last edited:
I recently made a partygyle Chocolate cream stout from a RIS grain bill. I also added a bit extra grain. The cream stout came out really good too (all gone now :() I was thinking it would be pretty hard to recreate and am interested to see how this works out for you.

My numbers for og are lining up with the numbers i got on brew day so thats a start.... I will have to wait until I brew it again to see if its the same beer though.

It will probably work alone as well. However, in the parti gyle you were using late runnings from the grains and now you are using early runnings as well, so there could be a minor difference. I would expect to get just a little bit more color and (maybe) some taste components when brewing it alone (things that are easily eluted, probably present in the grain surface layers). If you added crystals to the sparge, you would probably like to add them to the sparge here as well. Mashing them could lead to more crystal character being extracted, I think. If you want to mash them, you could probably cut the % of crystal content in your grain bill a little bit. Just speculation, haven't really done it this way myself.

Last edited:
There's a batch sparge calculator on the Braukaiser wiki. If you plug in your info on the spreadsheet for the batch you did and work backwards, you may be able to figure out what you need. Not positive though...

I'm curious how this turns out as well. I did a small stout from the second runnings of a big stout last year, but I totally winged the little beer and added some extra grains to the sparge to get the OG up, that beer turned out awesome for the time a year, a simple and refreshing dark ale kicked fast in the summer. I was thinking about how to recreate that again this summer.

Assuming you took an OG reading for both stouts, adjust your grain bill to target the OG for the coconut stout. No need to make it complicated. Varietal percentages in your grain bill will remain the same. All of this can easily be done on the brewers friend recipe builder w/o doing all the calculations by hand. You'll need to have an idea of what %brewhouse efficiency you expect to achieve. If you don't then just play with the builder for a few minutes and you'll have it all worked out in no time.

and since you added the roasted/crystal malts at sparge, plan on doing the same thing and adjust the quantities linearly with whatever you figure out for the rest of your grains.

Latest posts

Back