Reconditioning Pin Lock Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I've got a dozen pin lock kegs that I'm finally getting around to reconditioning. I've got replacement seals for them but am noticing now as I'm taking them apart, that there are a lot of differences between them.

I've found some resources (like here: BallKegClean) that talk about which poppets go with which styles but I'm having difficulty identifying which keg is which style. In addition, there are a couple kegs that have mismatched post units.

For the kegs that don't hold pressure after replacing the seals, is it vital to get the right replacement poppets or can I get generic replacements poppets like the ones seen here Poppet valves?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Differences in the seals? How so?

I use ball locks but the principles are the same so I will try and help. Yes you will need the correct poppets for you particular style. I know that even among ball lock type cornies there are several different manufacturers with different parts. Your kegs should have some sort of stamping or markings as to the make/model I should think. Find that and then look on the various keg part and homebrew suppliers websites they are usually arranged by make/model. If in doubt a quick email to the suppliers they can help you determine which is right.

As to the mismatched parts you have, that happens with used kegs. As long as they hold pressure you work with what you have. A few of mine seem like FrankenKegs but they work.

Oh, I meant differences between the kegs, not the seals. The biggest issue is getting the right poppets for the odd frankenkeg parts. Most of the kegs are labeled on the rubber on the bottom or stamped on the side, although I'm still not entirely sure which is which. Many say Firestone but were manufactured in Spartanburg. I assume that makes them a type A poppet, but there's also another keg that was made in Spartanburg, which doesn't say Firestone on it, and it's about an inch taller than the rest.

Anyway, I'll probably just stop sweating the details, and find a way to make most of them work, then guess on the replacement parts for the rest.

Ther are universal "like" poppets but I have heard stories that they don;t always work on some of the "rarer" kegs types in that in some cases the original is a wee bit, un-noticbly taller and the prongs just don;t seat well enough to obtain a good seal.

However, Foxx Equipment www.foxxequipment.com) shows about 6 different style poppets for various kegs in their catalog. There web site is okay but doesn't offer pricing.

They are wholesale but, never did ask me for my fein and I told them I was not tax exempt so I paid it at purchase.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Back