Recommended SMaSH recipe for 2 different yeast strands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post. Quick history: I'm 3 batches in, all 1 gallon kits. 1 extract and 2 all grain. I have a small setup (3 gallon pot and 2 gallon pot).

I'm looking to make a 2 gallon SMaSH recipe and split it into 1 gallon carboys to try different yeast strands. I'm hoping for either an IPA or wheat recipe, but am not picky.

Thoughts on recipes, and corresponding yeast to try?

Are you wanting to experiment with different strains? If so I would do something a little more flavor neutral than an IPA. Personally if your only three batches in I would boil one gallon and add whatever hop you like then boil the second gallon with a different hop. Ferment them both with a neutral yeast like WY1056 so you can learn what the different hop flavors are. This way you can do the same recipe with different yeast and have a better idea of what changed in the flavor profile.

If you brew a wheat beer and use a wit, hefe, or similar yeast you wont have a problem. These styles get most of the flavor from the yeast and not hops. You really wouldn't need to do a SMaSH but maybe 50/50 2-row/wheat or something. Then you could still use a single hop addition.

Some of my best beers came from when I did SMaSH IPA recipes to learn different hops. Once you get down the Hop profiles you can pick different strains to experiment with. I have made a pretty good IPA with french saison yeast. My favorite is a SMaSH with Pearl malt and Mosiac hops though.

Just my .2 cents.

What yeasts are you thinking about comparing? That has a big impact on the beer selection. And I agree if you're trying to isolate yeast differences you should do a neutral beer like maybe a blonde or a wheat. The hops of an IPA would likely cover a lot of the yeast flavor especially for a neutral yeast.

Also, you don't have to do a SMaSH recipe if it's the yeast you're looking at. I guess it might help to keep things simple though. But you can't do a wheat SMaSH because you don't want a 100% wheat beer.

And there's no reason to start with hops instead of yeast. Not sure why that would be better. It's just different aspects of flavor that you're trying to isolate.

Are you wanting to experiment with different strains? If so I would do something a little more flavor neutral than an IPA. Personally if your only three batches in I would boil one gallon and add whatever hop you like then boil the second gallon with a different hop. Ferment them both with a neutral yeast like WY1056 so you can learn what the different hop flavors are. This way you can do the same recipe with different yeast and have a better idea of what changed in the flavor profile.

I like this idea, but was hoping for only 1 boil. I could probably manage to do 2 boils side by side after mashing, I will have to give this some thought.

If you brew a wheat beer and use a wit, hefe, or similar yeast you wont have a problem. These styles get most of the flavor from the yeast and not hops. You really wouldn't need to do a SMaSH but
maybe 50/50 2-row/wheat or something. Then you could still use a single hop addition.

This is a little more what I had in mind, but I would be completely lost trying to pick 2 yeast strains that would compliment the recipe. I am not tied down to the SMaSH idea, just trying to keep it simple.

peterj said:
What yeasts are you thinking about comparing? That has a big impact on the beer selection. And I agree if you're trying to isolate yeast differences you should do a neutral beer like maybe a blonde or a wheat. The hops of an IPA would likely cover a lot of the yeast flavor especially for a neutral yeast.

I would be fine with doing a non-SMaSH simple wheat recipe. What yeast strains would you recommend trying?

I went with hops first because he mentioned IPA's. Like I said the wheat wouldn't be an issue. You can start off experimenting with different strains there.

But if you want to do a lot of hop forward beers I recommend learning hops first. There are neutral yeast that allow you to taste and smell the majority of different hop flavors and aromas. But whats the point of an IPA that has little hop taste to allow you to taste the yeast? Getting to know hops first allows you to figure out what each hop has to offer without having the yeast add a lot of flavor. So you can be certain what you are tasting is the hops. If you start experimenting with yeast on IPA's first you can't be sure what flavors the yeast impart. After you grasp the flavors/aromas of a few hop varieties you can start experimenting with yeast. You will already know what the flavors the hops will add to the beer so you can isolate what flavors the yeast added. It is a good method to learn about designing IPA recipes.

But with some other beers you can start with the yeast as it is the driving factor in flavor and aroma. I'm not saying you must start with hops first. But if you want IPA's I would personally. Tell us what kind of beer styles you like and what you plan on brewing. Then we can offer a little more advice on what yeast strains you should try out. There are tons of strains to choose from. Do you have access to white labs or Wyeast?

Back