Recommended (hopefully cheap) kegging setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I would need pretty much the whole setup. CO2 tank, regulator, beer lines, possibly a stainless faucet and shank. I have one keg at the moment so I would only need one faucet+shank combo. I can see myself possibly upgrading to 2-3 kegs at some point, so will I need a CO2 distributor as well?

I remember Edwort posted a link to a decently priced site a while back but I can't for the life of me remember what that site was.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I already own the keg itself, so a kit like this one: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18192/102298/Deluxe_Homebrew_Draft_System may be a waste. I will need a drip tray also.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_21-69.html
What do you guys think of this one?

Now On Sale!!

This is a web only sale!

This includes:

Dual Guage Regulator
Used 5 gallon Keg
Six (6) feet of Thick Wall Gas Line
Picnic Tap and Dispensing Hose
Barbed Gas and Beer disconnects
Full Set of Instructions (Who reads these anyhow)
$79 is the Bare Bones Kit. You can add any of the options below to augment your kegging system.

For a limited time: Add a #4 CO2 tank for $20!

Barbed Fittings will be supplied unless you upgrade to the quick disconnect fittings. These will allow you to add other options to your kegging system...well worth the $5 upgrade.

The 4 and 10 LB tanks speak for themselves. If you can rent one locally, go for it. If not...we have some darn good prices!

Any problem having a 4 pound CO2 tank instead of a 5 pound? $20 is dirt cheap

Upgrade to QDs. If you have one keg, you can add a WYE and check valves to keep two kegs going off one tank.

Guess they do make a 4lb tank response to my email

----- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:18:14 PM
Subject: Adventures in Homebrewing : Contact Form

f
comment: on your online special you list a 4lb tank for an extra 20 dollars ,is it 4 lbs or a 5 lb tank ?
Submit: Send
---------------------------------------------response --------------------

It is a 4LB tank.

Cheers!

Adventures in Homebrewing
23869 Van Born RD
Taylor, MI 48180
(313) 277 BREW (2739)

4 lbs will be fine. keep an eye on your local craigslist for a bigger tank in the future. my 5 lb tank has carbed and served 3 cornies and i still have gas.

I emailed them as well. They told me they used to be oxygen tanks that they converted to co2. I don't know if this would cause a problem, but I doubt it.

What I'm wondering about now is their "quick disconnects" that they refer to as "threaded". Are these the standard quick disconnects for ball locks?

Hey folks, first post, new to homebrew and just perusing the home brew kegging posts.

I've been using "pony" kegs and dispensers for a good 4 years now and I saw some uncertainty about CO2 to Beer volumes, etc... Just as a heads up a full 5lb CO2 tank will gladly dispense 7.75 gallons about 10-12 times. So for 5 gallons you're probably looking at about 15 kegs or so with force carbonation.

I know I've been able to squeeze out more than that on rare occasions but I'd say that's my average. It's also important with quick disconnects and the more hardware you put on your gas lines to check for slow leaks. Any number of methods will work but using good latex (Condoms, anyone?) and tight rubber bands around joints will help you find really slow leaks if they're present. I'm a hygenic type so if I'm leaking gas I definitely want to know about it. :D

Anyways.. hope that helps.

Also to be on topic...

I use a Danby Chill N' Tap system that I found for $225 used. If you can grab one of these go for it. They are easy to maintain and you can crank the temp knob down and they'll keep it rock solid cold (45-50F). You'll see reviews about ice buildup/etc... but if you keep your tap in a reasonable environment (75-78F) it'll keep beer nice n happy. If you don't mind domestics in between waiting you can get American beer Pony kegs and tap it with the included sankey tap although Coors is offlimits due to their goofy kegs. It's a nice setup and I'm happily kegging with it homebrew and commercial.

Homebrew Kegging System
What do you guys think of this one?

Now On Sale!!

This is a web only sale!

This includes:

Dual Guage Regulator
Used 5 gallon Keg
Six (6) feet of Thick Wall Gas Line
Picnic Tap and Dispensing Hose
Barbed Gas and Beer disconnects
Full Set of Instructions (Who reads these anyhow)
$79 is the Bare Bones Kit. You can add any of the options below to augment your kegging system.

For a limited time: Add a #4 CO2 tank for $20!

Barbed Fittings will be supplied unless you upgrade to the quick disconnect fittings. These will allow you to add other options to your kegging system...well worth the $5 upgrade.

The 4 and 10 LB tanks speak for themselves. If you can rent one locally, go for it. If not...we have some darn good prices!

Any problem having a 4 pound CO2 tank instead of a 5 pound? $20 is dirt cheap

I recently purchased this kegging kit a month or so ago, and as far as I can tell it is pretty good quality. The keg was clean and sealed well. No problems with the regulator, poppits, or lines. Enjoy kegging....I know I do!

When it comes to CO2 tanks be sure to get a tank that is a legal CO2 tank or you may be turned away from getting it refilled. There are federal standards for this.

Back