Recommended Fermentation Temp for Mild Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a Mild Ale and the yeast recommends a range of 62 - 72 degrees. Which would be better? The Yeast I am using is:

Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast. Produces classic British bitters, rich complex flavor profile, clean, light malt character, low fruitiness, low esters, well-balanced. Flocculation: medium. Apparent attenuation: 72-76%. Optimum temperature: 62-72.

It is a NB Mild Ale Extract Kit with specialty grains.

Thanks in advance,

redneckbeagle

Well, I like to ferment in the middle of the range if I can. If you set your thermostat at 62, the fermentation often causes a higher temperature inside the carboy. If you have a stick-on thermometer, you can monitor the inside temperature that way. If you want the low-fruitiness, low esters, especially, ferment on the lower side.

I try to ferment all my ales at around 65 degrees. Ultimately, as long as you are in the temp range, the most important thing is having a consistent temp rather than hitting a specific temp exactly. For example, it would not be good if it sits at 70 degrees all day then drops to 60 degrees at night.

WYeast recommends start fermentation at 70-75 degrees until you see activity in the airlock and them move it to the desired Fermentation temp. Should see some activity early in the morning and will move it to about 66-67 and see how it turns out. This is only my third batch. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!

Thanks for the info,

rednecjbeagle

Back