Recommended equipment for a new beer maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerio

Reaction score
I've made wine in the past and now I want to graduate to beer. I don't want to do the bottling thing either. I hear there are ways of keeping it in a keg?
Anyhow what do you recommend for a basic beer making equipment list?
Thanks in advance.

Just go to any of the homebrew supply store sites or your local if you have one to purchase a kit.

I do, however, recommend you buy the most complete (largest) kit set-up they offer. REASON: chances are you're going to buy all the other stuff eventually and...you may as well get it now because it's probably cheaper this way...:D

Go for a kit that has a glass carboy for secondary, and wort chiller.

Look into getting a brew kettle that will boil at least 3.5-4 gallons if you can't go for a full boil. The larger volume gives you better finishing beer. Full 5 gallons might put you outside. I was doing about 4 inside, but it did take a while. Don't forget to leave room in the ketttle for foaming, especially if you like wheat beers.

I got my kit from homebrew heaven. It was pretty complete. Sanitizers, bottle washer, chiller, brushes, thermometer, hydrometer, plastic primary, glass carboy, I really didn't need anything else to get started (other than a brew kettle and something to stir with) You can even get your first kit at a discount with the order. My only complaint was the primary bucket was a tad on the small side. I ended up drilling a hole in it and use it as my bottleing bucket. They do offer a kit for kegging.

I definately recommend trying to get everything from your local brew shop if you can, but their kits are pretty complete and inexpensive, best I've found so far.

Back