Recommended CO2 connector if I already have a regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKB21

Reaction score
I purchased a pump kit that came with a CO2 regulator. I have a 20LB CO2 tank that I just need to connect to the kit. I was wondering what would be my best route to take to connect the two. Ideally would think I'd just need a threaded female input with a male output that I could connect my vinyl tubes with but just haven't come across a device as of yet. Attached below is the pump kit with the regulator.

IMG_3176.JPG

That is a secondary regulator. ^

I purchased a pump kit that came with a CO2 regulator. I have a 20LB CO2 tank that I just need to connect to the kit. I was wondering what would be my best route to take to connect the two. [...]
Those (secondary regulators) cannot be connected directly to a CO2 tank!
The secondary regulator needs to get its input (CO2) from a primary regulator, which reduces the tank's internal high pressure (2000-3000 psi) to a more manageable pressure of 0-100 psi.

Only primary regulators can be directly connected to a CO2 tank. The large brass nut on the primary regulator screws onto the tank's valve assembly.

BTW, welcome back!

That is a secondary regulator. ^

Those (secondary regulators) cannot be connected directly to a CO2 tank!
The secondary regulator needs to get its input (CO2) from a primary regulator, which reduces the tank's internal high pressure (2000-3000 psi) to a more manageable pressure of 0-100 psi.

Only primary regulators can be directly connected to a CO2 tank. The large brass nut on the primary regulator screws onto the tank's valve assembly.

BTW, welcome back!
Gotcha! Thank you so much and happy holidays! A little OT but I ended up with the 20lb tank as recommended in the other thread lol. I'm gettin there 😅!

What is that pump going to be used for? Water or syrups?

Did you get a regulator with that 20# tank?

What is that pump going to be used for? Water or syrups?

Did you get a regulator with that 20# tank?
5/6 for syrups. The remaining pump I was planning on using for my water source (dip a tube in a 5 gal water jug and suction). As for the regulator, I just ordered this one for the tank. Lemme know if this was an ideal choice. I still have time to change the order.

I just ordered this one for the tank.
The brand is TapRite, which is good.
Ideal choice? I dunno.

What pressure do you need to drive the pumps? Make sure you can attain that. That regulator "only" goes to 60 psi.
While the secondary on the pump goes to 100 psi... which makes me wonder how much pressure you'll need.

Did you read the later posts on your previous threads?
@Bobby_M made some valuable remarks on driving pumps, etc.

What pressure do you need to drive the pumps? Make sure you can attain that. That regulator "only" goes to 60 psi.
As told by one of their sales reps, I believe I need just 60psi. I did happen to read his posts and concluded that CO2 was the way to go. Was there one in particular I should take a look at?

As told by one of their sales reps, I believe I need just 60psi.
As long as it's not higher than 60 psi, that regulator should work.

But why would you need a secondary regulator for each of the pumps? If you can drive all 5-6 pumps with 40-60 psi straight from the primary regulator (mounted on the tank), you're all set. There would be no reason to use different pressures for each pump, correct?
I'm saying this because those secondary regs are pricey.

Look at kegging sundries for ideas on manifolds, connectors, swivel nuts, hoses, etc.:
Brewhardware (Bobby_M):
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1850.htm
I prefer using 1/4" flare connections* (FFL, MFL, swivel nuts, etc.) over barbed ones, especially for ease of dismantling, scalability, service, troubleshooting, etc.
For example, in your picture above, the 2 brass connection on your secondary regulator are 1/4" MFL (Male Flare, on the left) and FFL (Female Flare, on the right).

Don't forget, you'll need to use a 1/4" plastic "fisheye washer" between metal to metal flare connections for leak free connections.

But why would you need a secondary regulator for each of the pumps? If you can drive all 5-6 pumps with 40-60 psi straight from the primary regulator (mounted on the tank), you're all set. There would be no reason to use different pressures for each pump, correct?
I'm saying this because those secondary regs are pricey.
The secondary came as a bundle with my flojet pumps (see link). I had a feeling it might be overkill, which led me here to ask. With all that being said, do I just set both to 60psi?

I've asked Taprite whether the secondary regs can handle tank pressure and they never answered me. I've speculated that they can because they all seem to be built the same way but without them confirming one way or another, I think it was a good move to get the primary tank mount regulator. In that case, keep the secondary out of the connection as it would be redundant and just another source of potential leaks.

I've asked Taprite whether the secondary regs can handle tank pressure and they never answered me. I've speculated that they can because they all seem to be built the same way but without them confirming one way or another, I think it was a good move to get the primary tank mount regulator. In that case, keep the secondary out of the connection as it would be redundant and just another source of potential leaks.
Thanks for the reassurance. So with that being said I just wouldn't lift the top and twist for the second regulator?

I'm sorry I'm not grasping the question. Just leave the secondary regulator out of the loop and feed the pumps directly from the primary regulator output.
Let me try to clarify. This is how the gas is setup to come in. Would I just unclamp the vinyl tube connected to the regulator and instead connect it (or a longer one to my tank?
IMG_3185.jpg

Let me try to clarify. This is how the gas is setup to come in. Would I just unclamp the vinyl tube connected to the regulator and instead connect it (or a longer one to my tank?
Yes!

Mind, these are oetiker clamps, they cannot be reused. You'd need to get new ones of the correct size/diameter. Crimp the ear with pinching pliers, no need for a $$ special crimping tool. ;)

Oetiker clamps make a more secure clamp than worm clamps, especially at small diameters.

Now, you need to supply CO2 to 6 syrup pumps, right? Are you planning to use a (gas) manifold?

Yes!

Mind, these are oetiker clamps, they cannot be reused. You'd need to get new ones of the correct size/diameter. Crimp the ear with pinching pliers, no need for a $$ special crimping tool. ;)

Oetiker clamps make a more secure clamp than worm clamps, especially at small diameters.

Now, you need to supply CO2 to 6 syrup pumps, right? Are you planning to use a (gas) manifold?
So if I understand you correctly I think the kit came with a manifold but correct me if I'm wrong:
IMG_3208.JPG

So if I understand you correctly I think the kit came with a manifold
Yes, that's some sort of manifold: One input, multiple outputs.
Connect the line coming from your regulator (the one mounted on the tank) to the manifold's input.

Back