Recommendations request...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckosan

Reaction score
I need a loan so I thought yous guys would be a good reference...

ok not really. But I am trying to find a recipe (preferrably but not limited to AG) for something in the MGD style. Now before you run off and say "search will work wonders", i'm not looking for a clone. I wnat something different but in the taste genre.

I can't stand MGD myself....but, but...the great man that is my father loves the stuff. I love a good stout or thick ale...a doppelbock you have to carve, etc. So thats what I have always made, and I can see in the way he tip toes through the bottle when visiting he's drinking it to make me happy.

So, I want to get something going that he would enjoy when he comes to visit. Something in bottles for now that could be kegged once I can cough up the $413 usd for the 2 tap system.

My request then, is...what would you brew and serve a pint of to your old man (assuming you like him) if his likes were in the Lowenbrau or MGD range?

Thanks...

C

PS. Kit suggestions are fine, recipes I can check out in the DB even better.

I can't recommend a particular recipe, but try looking for cream ale (not stout) recipes. They're like a pale US lager, but not and can be done at ale temps rather than lager temps. *edit* look under light hybrid ale recipes on this site.

cool thanks...that sounds very promising on quick read.

Thanks for the suggestion as well...light hybrid. might be good as well. I want something that I can say, " I made this" but keep him happy. call me old-fashioned or Rockwellian, but sitting at the home bar with the old man sharing a pint gets me a little; and I know he loves it.

C

I just hooked up the tap for Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale, and it's very good. I would suggest perhaps a bit less corn, and either a bit more rice or 2row, or sugar, as BM talks about if you read the whole thread (it's a bit big).

I overshot my OG a bit, and ended up with a 6% abv cream ale, which wasn't my intent, but it's REALLY drinkable.

cool thanks...that sounds very promising on quick read.

Thanks for the suggestion as well...light hybrid. might be good as well. I want something that I can say, " I made this" but keep him happy. call me old-fashioned or Rockwellian, but sitting at the home bar with the old man sharing a pint gets me a little; and I know he loves it.

C

I hear ya.My father is a devote Bud drinker,but he has drank at least one of ALL of my beers.Thats something me and the old man have in common.Although he recently said he liked my IIPA better than bud.He had 5 and got pretty buzzed(12%):D
So to the point.Ed wort's haus pale ale is petty good for BMC drinkers too:tank:

Yeah! exactly. ine does the same. tries one, makes a sour face then reaches for the lightest I make or brings a 6er of mgd -_-

but the times are limited, so why mot make the best I can of them. :)

Thanks guys, I am making a list and going through them. one or 3 will become the dadale..

I too would vote for Biermunchers cream of three crops. I would also recommend upping the barley slightly. I have head retention problems with the beer but it tastes very similiar to an American lager without the pain of making a lager.

I also recently made Dude's honey wheat. He has two recipes one with watermelon and one without. I made the one with and it is an awesome beer and something that my Dad loved (molson drinker). I made mine with Safale 05 and if you did this and excluded the watermelon it would make something great that i think a BMC drinker would appreciate. Best of luck.

Go this way.

5lbs American Two Row
2lbs Wheat Malt

.5-1oz Cascade/Willamette @ 60min

Mash at 150 for 30min and then start sparging. Boil for 1 hour (or 30 min if you are in a serious hurry)

Ferment with a California Ale yeast (US-05, WLP001) at 65 for three days and then 68-70 for a week.

That right there will give you a light colored, lightly hopped beer that your pops will dig. The cream of three crops is great as well, it utilizes rice and corn to lighten the body. This recipe gets you about 3.5%abv and you could raise that by adding another pound of grain to give you four. The wheat will give it just a little something else and you don't need any crystals or anything else. I make this for all the guys I work with that drink fizzy yellow beer as well.

Good luck.

An Ordinary Bitter might just be the ticket:

5.5 lbs 2 Row Pale (or 3.5 lbs DME if you want an extract version)
1 lb Crystal 40L
8 oz Aromatic

.5 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz willamette 5 min

Wyeast London Ale (1028)

About 24IBUs and 3.3% ABV.

...go a little lighter on the hops maybe if your dad isn't a fan.

Back