Recommendations please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
I would like some recommendations for my "first" brew. I did 3 batches almost 4 years ago that didn't turn out very well. I am buying mostly new equipment (the only thing I have is kettle). I am starting over! I would like recommendations for a simple recipe that will help with my confidence. I would like something a little hoppy and refreshing for the spring/summer. I don't want anything crazy, ABV wise. American pale ale maybe? Thanks :mug:

I'd recommend a recipe kit from austinhomebrew.com. They have hundreds of kits, in all different configurations. You could even buy a "clone kit" of your favorite brew. I have done their Fat Tire kit, Pete's Wicked ale kit, and various others. Here's a link: http://austinhomebrew.com/

I also have buying kits from Brewmaster's Warehouse and I've been happy with them, too.

Thanks, Yooper. I was looking more for style recommendations as I will probably buy ingredients from LHBS today.

Then, you could check out our recipe database and just see what looks good to you. Only proven recipes are in the database, so they are guaranteed to be good. If you find an all-grain recipe, you could just post it and one of will be happy to convert it for you to extract if you need that.

Thanks again, Yooper. I was looking at the recipe database the other day. I think I was actually looking at one of your's. I have seen so many that I already forgot which one it was, haha. So, I shouldn't have a problem taking one of those recipes to LHBS and asking them to put it together?

I was checking out your recipes and remembered which one I was checking out the other day: DFH 60 minute ipa clone. I love that beer. Looking at the recipe database, I also like the wild dog days of summer recipe.

Back