Recommendations or Ideas for Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing up an American Pale Ale, and wanted to know something regarding boil times. I'm going to be trying out a method of all late additions, starting at 20 minutes. Basic layout is 20, 10, 5, 0.

Here's the recipe, using my base grain bill that I use for all of my APAs and IPAs:

OG 1.055
Expected FG 1.012
IBUs: 47

Grain bill:
9 lbs. 2-Row
1 lbs. White Wheat Malt
.5 lbs. Crystal 60

Hop Schedule:
1 oz. Amarillo Gold @ 20 min.
2 oz. Amarillo Gold @ 10 min.
1 oz. Galaxy @ 5 min.
1 oz. Galaxy @ 0 min.
2 oz. Amarillo @ DH 7 days
1 oz. Citra @ DH 7 days
1 oz. Mosaic @ DH 7 days

I'll be using a starter of WLP001, but that's irrelevant since I'm just wondering about hops/boil.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with late addition hopping like this. No 60 minute addition, just 20 and below. My main thing is if I should boil the full 60 minutes to get rid of DMS, or just do a 20 minute boil? My instinct is to avoid DMS and just boil for 60 minutes to concentrate the wort as normal, and to ward off DMS.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Cheers, Luke

I think it looks good, I did late add hops with my latest APA (almost same grist as yours, minus the wheat...hmmmm, might have to try that!)...much more hop flavor than the traditional bittering then flavor then aroma schedule.

Only suggestion would be to alternate the hop types going into the boil. So instead of doing AG-AG-G-G, do AG-G-AG-G. That way you are getting a mix of AG and G for what constitutes the majority of your bitterning charge and flavor/aroma charge. Just my 0.02. They are coming so close to one another you may not see much difference.

@skunkfunk
Ahh, yes so true. Don't know why I didn't realize that... Thanks so much for the input!!

@broadbill
Good idea! I think that'll give a better profile of each hop. And I find that the wheat gives some crazy good head and retention. Also helps add a little creaminess that gets lost since I tend to make my beers, especially APAs and IPAs, pretty dry, around 1.010 or lower.

Thank you both! And if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free!

Back