Recommendations on Starter Kit Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPA_Brewer

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations.

Whats' the best starter/beginner 5Gal All-Grain kit (assume no equipment already). Budget goal is 200-350$.

Whats the best starter/kit/set/etc that you know of from any site?

Thanks!

If you look at the price of a kit vs the price of it's individual constituents, they seem like a good deal. However, IMO they generally have a few items that you don't need and they aren't a better deal than the individual elements you need.

I personally do brew in a bag (BIAB) style all grain. This will subtract the price of a cooler and second pot from your list of requirements. You can always add them later, which I intend to do when I get a better space.

I would suggest piecing your requirements together from several places to get the best prices. I would recommend the following:

-big pot. To make a 5 gallon batch, you need to boil at least 6.5-7 gallons (more I you count on boiloff to concentrate the wort for high gravity brews, for example Dogfishhead 90minute IPA). An 8 gallon pot is the smallest I would recommend, but you'll enjoy a 10 gallon more (assuming you can afford and store it).
-hydrometer
-buckets, lids, air locks
-something to stir boiling wort (I use a chunk of copper pipe scored at intervals so I can estimate the volume in the pot)
-paint strainer bags
-propane burner/cylinder

If you get all that, all you need is grain/yeast/hops to brew.

Nice to have items include
-stirplate and flask for yeast starters. Easily save $8 per batch (maybe 16) by reducing 2-3 pouches of yeast to 1. Not necessary if you plan to use dry yeast.

Ignoring the yeast starter items, I think you can get the rest under $300. Pot and propane burner/cylinder are big ticket, everything else is $5-10.

Good luck. If I missed anything, I'm sure I'll be ridiculed in the next few minutes.

Sorry... that list will let you brew. You probably want to bottle, too.

Racking cane, bottling bucket, bottles/caps, sanitizer.

If you are looking at 3 vessel, I really like the fermenter's favorites all-grain 10 gallon brewing kit. About $200. Assuming you have other brewing supplies, that is all you need to go all-grain.

Looking for some recommendations.

Whats' the best starter/beginner 5Gal All-Grain kit (assume no equipment already). Budget goal is 200-350$.

Whats the best starter/kit/set/etc that you know of from any site?

Thanks!

Ghetto unit=turkey fryer plus paint strainer bag. Add a Corona mill to it so you can get the milling you want.
You'll need the same small stuff for whatever system you go for, like thermometer, hydrometer, bucket fermenters and bottling bucket. Here it is in a kit. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Brewe...1Et1Fq8u4JiIKl-OcFoL3ik2ZC2xoToNFkaAmHa8P8HAQ
Those 2 above are likely to bring you close to or slightly over $200.

Improved ghetto unit would have a 10 gallon pot and a good propane burner with the addition of a bag from Wilserbrewer.

You can add more to that but from then on you are just getting better quality and more stuff to store.

If you look at the price of a kit vs the price of it's individual constituents, they seem like a good deal. However, IMO they generally have a few items that you don't need and they aren't a better deal than the individual elements you need.

I personally do brew in a bag (BIAB) style all grain. This will subtract the price of a cooler and second pot from your list of requirements. You can always add them later, which I intend to do when I get a better space.

I would suggest piecing your requirements together from several places to get the best prices. I would recommend the following:

-big pot. To make a 5 gallon batch, you need to boil at least 6.5-7 gallons (more I you count on boiloff to concentrate the wort for high gravity brews, for example Dogfishhead 90minute IPA). An 8 gallon pot is the smallest I would recommend, but you'll enjoy a 10 gallon more (assuming you can afford and store it).
-hydrometer
-buckets, lids, air locks
-something to stir boiling wort (I use a chunk of copper pipe scored at intervals so I can estimate the volume in the pot)
-paint strainer bags
-propane burner/cylinder

If you get all that, all you need is grain/yeast/hops to brew.

Nice to have items include
-stirplate and flask for yeast starters. Easily save $8 per batch (maybe 16) by reducing 2-3 pouches of yeast to 1. Not necessary if you plan to use dry yeast.

Ignoring the yeast starter items, I think you can get the rest under $300. Pot and propane burner/cylinder are big ticket, everything else is $5-10.

Good luck. If I missed anything, I'm sure I'll be ridiculed in the next few minutes.

I've read up on BIAB, and I've even watched/helped out with a friend doing BIAB, and I really didn't like it (no offense), its just not my type of thing, not the way I want to brew.

If I were to buy things individually, whats the best way to go about doing that? Especially to buy it all individually but gather/get them around the same time? For your list you have there - how much would you say those items cost (individually and the list as a total)?

I've read up on BIAB, and I've even watched/helped out with a friend doing BIAB, and I really didn't like it (no offense), its just not my type of thing, not the way I want to brew.

If I were to buy things individually, whats the best way to go about doing that? Especially to buy it all individually but gather/get them around the same time? For your list you have there - how much would you say those items cost (individually and the list as a total)?

Lol. You've got to try a lot harder than that to offend me.

I would scan around. Different home brew shops will certainly sell you kit stuff ala carte. Also Amazon will have stuff. You can get big pots at kitchen supply stores. Price is going to depend on a number of things, some of which are meaningless (name stamped on the side, for example). I believe stainless will be more expensive than aluminum. Generally, bigger will be more costly. Welded fittings have a cost per each, but may be better in the long run vs the weld free option (i.e., drilled hole with nuts and gaskets for thermometer and/or spigot). Honestly I can't guess cost.

I pitched BIAB mostly for cost reasons, but thinking about it, the biggest thing is a cooler for mashing/sparging. I thought I was getting you away from a second pot, but I guess it's not really necessary with a standard mash. You could either heat sparge water and dump it into a bucket to pour while you drain into your kettle or just dump cold water. I read somewhere that there isn't much evidence to support the theory that hot water works better.

Propane cylinder is about $50. There's a lot of variation in the price of a burner. Performance will have a big impact on cost, as will brand name. I'd be more willing to pay for a brand name for the burner than the pot.

Most of the other things on the list were cheap, $5-15 or so.

Ok, thanks everyone!

(Any other ideas/recommendations are still gladly received, always looking for advice.)

search craigslist. Lots of times you can find something close, and someone wants to unload their stuff.

I saw a similar post earlier but wanted to second the suggestion to search your area's Craigslist for deals. Some folks go all out then lose interest for various reasons. I found a Blichmann kettle and burner, BIAB bags to fit, various hoses, fittings and Speidel fermenters that were basically brand new. The guy said he simply didn't like brewing after he spent a crazy amount to try it once. SO I got a heck of a deal...and you may find something like that too if you'll look around. I also saw an entire home brew "sell out" posted on the For Sale board at my local brew store.

Guess I'm not understanding this thread. You had another going where you kept trolling for more "starter kit" ideas and kept asking if that was all there was.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=621632

You kept at it:

Is there any kits or anything in the 200-300$ range that anyone REALLY recommends? (For a complete brand new beginner)

then

No other kits/sets recommended?

But now we have another thread.

Here's what many endorsed there, you should be thinking about MoreBeer's Premium starter kit. It has the best combination of equipment for the money, includes a starter kit so you don't have to make that decision and can focus on process, includes a plastic (not glass) wide-mouth fermenter, has an immersion chiller, a boil kettle, a hydrometer, spoon, capper, caps--it has everything you need except for a burner.

I just finished my 30th batch, but I still remember what it was like to be a new brewer. If I had to do it all over again, I'd be on that kit like nobody's business.

Here it is, just to remind you:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

Here's what it includes:

7 Gallon Fermonster fermenter with built in spigot, stopper, and airlock
8.5 Gallon Stainless Steel Brew Kettle w/ thermometer port and stainless ball valve
Copper Wort Chiller for quick cooling
Food Grade Bucket for bottling
Mesh bags for grain and hops on brew day
A Thermometer for easy temperature management
Hydrometer for making key sugar measurements
Transfer Tubing
Bottling Wand with shut off valve
Sturdy Bottle Capper
Bottle Caps
Bottle Cleaning Brush
Star San Sanitizer for true sanitizing
Large Stainless Steel Spoon for mixing
Craftmeister Cleaning Tablets for super easy cleaning
Delicious American Pale Ale recipe kit with yeast

Now, for $229, with shipping included, and including the kit which is probably worth $30, you have everything you need. You can pay more, but given your budget, this kit is the nuts.

If I could go back and start over, this kit would have been the one I'd buy. I'd have saved hundreds, and had a terrific start. I'd have been able to see if I really wanted to engage in the hobby, and if not, I'd have been able to sell off the kit for probably $150. So it's about as good as you're going to find.

If you have some specific reason why this kit doesn't serve your needs, perhaps it would be good to get that out there. Maybe you don't like MoreBeer, or you hate California and Pennsylvania where they ship from, or something else.

Sheesh, just buy one already....seems you have a hard time making decisions.

I bought my first 1 gallon brewing kit from Northern Brewers for $50, but Morebeer has them as does many others. Maybe start with a one kit to see if you like brewing.

Sorry, I just figure if I'm going to go into something, I should go into it with THEE best possible decision and THE MOST research I could have.

Sorry I was asking questions and "trolling" here. (Didn't think that was what I was doing at all.)
(Just was trying to get the most opinions, the most advice, the most research.)

Sorry.

I'll go back to lurking.

Sorry, I just figure if I'm going to go into something, I should go into it with THEE best possible decision and THE MOST research I could have.

Sorry I was asking questions and "trolling" here. (Didn't think that was what I was doing at all.)

Sorry.

I'll go back to lurking.

Something to ponder.....you joined the forum about 5 months ago. You could have brewed 20 batches by now. Just think of all the great beer you could have consumed. Just sayin......

Sorry.

I'll go back to lurking.

No matter what you decide on initially, you will brew with it, learn by actually brewing, and decide that you need to replace or upgrade some things. Guaranteed. So just start somewhere, figure out what works for YOU, and brew the best beer you can.

Back