Recommendations for third batch please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BioBeing

Reaction score
I have an old ale bottled and a Boddington's clone in the fermentor. My brew partner prefers something a bit more malty, and less hoppy... I'm thinking an Irish red or an amber. I've seen some good looking recipes, but looking for some more recommendations before I buy stuff... Extract or partial mash OK.

TIA :mug:

i'm a noob too and probably can't give you the "appropriate" response. but i just bought a brewer's best "american nut brown" pack and i'm very excited to brew that next.

Well, not sure if u mean quite this far, but a doppelbock would certainly meet the criteria;) Ipa is to hops as doppelbocks are to malt:)

Yooper's clone of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale is a rich, malty brew that's close to 7% ABV...one of my favorites. It's in the recipe section under Dead Guy Clone (AG and extract). I do it as a partial mash myself.

I have the Dead Guy printed out already... might be that! Personally, I might rather go for the Dogfish Head 60, but each to their own. Want to keep every one happy, and SWMBO likes a red/amber too.

As to Magic Hat: no apricot. No fruit, period. Sorry, but not our taste!

Doppelbock might work. But isn't it a larger... not sure if I can do the low temps. I'll look into it though. He likes Shiner Bock pretty good.

Ya bocks are lagers. I'd love to brew one myself this winter but I'm saving the style for when I can do ag

I have the Dead Guy printed out already... might be that! Personally, I might rather go for the Dogfish Head 60, but each to their own. Want to keep every one happy, and SWMBO likes a red/amber too.

As to Magic Hat: no apricot. No fruit, period. Sorry, but not our taste!

Doppelbock might work. But isn't it a larger... not sure if I can do the low temps. I'll look into it though. He likes Shiner Bock pretty good.

I just cracked open a 2 months old Yooper's Dead Guy... Yum... nice and malty with good body. Very mouthful.... You'll like it. I'll let it carbonate a bit more.

This one if for my buddy, so he'd prefer less hops, more malt than a DFH.

Scottish is a good idea. I was also thinking about a mild last night too, but the OG is a bit lower than we'd both like :drunk:

One prob with the Dead Guy is time. We are building stock up, so waiting 2 months is a bit long! I think I just need a new fermentor vessel, so I can do a couple. Everything sounds good :D

This one if for my buddy, so he'd prefer less hops, more malt than a DFH.

Scottish is a good idea. I was also thinking about a mild last night too, but the OG is a bit lower than we'd both like :drunk:

I'd definitely go with the scottish. Shame you don't like the low grav idea, a mild would have been perfect.

Maybe look into a scottish with a small beer from second runnings to tide you over while the scottish is aging?

Too many choices!!!! Mild is actually sounding very good, as its not something I've really ever seen in the States. Good lunch time drink when you have things you need to do in the afternoon. Or maybe a Scottish 80/-. The Northern Brewer kits look pretty good - anyone had good luck with them? Or Austin Homebrew?

I REALLY need a second vessel :D

I also like a balanced brew, with just a touch more hoppiness than malt. The big malts are too sweet for my taste, but the big hoppy ones are too bitter, but I like the hops to slightly overshadow the malt, so that there is a nice crisp flavor. I feel like the chick in When Harry Met Sally, ordering lunch, but are there any suggestions?

I've made the Dead Guy clone 4 times now and it doesn't take 2 months to be good...it's always been great after only 3 weeks in the bottle (and 3-4 weeks fermentation time). I thought it might need some aging but it really doesn't.

It's also good with Safale US-05 dry yeast if you can't find pacman. The first 3 batches that's what I used.

Scotch or Scottish Ale!!!!!!!!!!! Malty and refreshing. It's my favorite style, especially in the cooler months. I drift towards the IPA's and West Coast Pale Ales in the summer, but winter time is Scottish time!!!

Alright - if I go Scottish (70 or 80 shilling), can someone recommend a good recipe? No-one is jumping up and down on the ones in the database here (other than back and forth about yeast: take it for read I'll use #1728 Scottish Ale yeast) and the different kits (Northern, Brewers Best all seem quite different.

OK - just found Austin Homebrew's list of kits. They look pretty impressive, and seem to get good reviews. Anyone tried their Irish Red or Scottish 80/-? [Extract or mini-mash?]

ETA - I have to make this! Oh, man! I love that beer! I lived in Kent for a year, and one pub (have no idea on the name now) served that direct from the cask in the back of the bar...

Update: went to my LBHS and got ingredients for an Irish red. And a new 6.5 bucket! Yeah! I can brew two at once!!

Back