Recommendations for a London stay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germey

Reaction score
Well, in light of my unemployment, and the world going to heck in a handbasket, it seems logical to take the family on an expensive vacation.;)
What better community to ask for any treasures of either vacation rentals or hotels that you have found in London (the UK one, not Ohio) than y'all.
I'll have my wife and two kids with me, so I can't just go from pub to pub like I'd probably do otherwise.
Anyway, thanks for any advice.
Cheers,

When I visited london last year we stayed in a hotel called the "mad hatter". It was less expensive than many of the other options, had nice accomodations (it is a converted hat factory) and is run by Fullers. The attached pub is nice, and serves a bunch of Fullers beer you can't get over here. It's located jut across the Thames from the london eye and there are two metro stops within easy walking distance. Have fun, it's a really great city to walk around and explore, but be prepared, it's EXPENSIVE! Probably not so bad now as it was when I went though, since the exchange rate is much more favorable.

No advice on places to stay, but if you ever buy a pint that does not satisfy your eye or doesn't taste as it should, never be afraid to hand it back. They will give you a try at another brew no problem.

I stayed at the Meininger Hostel, it pretty good and at a great price. They're not student specific and you can get a private room for your family. Their breakfasts are pretty good (I was happy with all three that I used: Berlin, London, and Munich), along the typical European model (bread, cheese, meat, jelly, etc.).

I would highly recommend the Porterhouse Brewing Company. I hit them up in Dublin and again in London (Covent Garden), they've got some good beers there.

I also recommend the NewLondon walking tour, it's the gimmicky free one but I took a lot of them (2 in Berlin, London, Amsterdam, and Munich) and learned a lot, it's a more candid tour than the strict pay one (kids might complain about tromping around, tho). I did wear out a brand new pair of shoes on my 5 month trip, though. :D I also discovered that you can make an old cut bleed by drinking too much (first time was in Dublin). :drunk:

Another tip.....Contrary to popular belief, Londoners do NOT hate Americans. However, they DO hate Americans that behave like ********. However, there is nothing that you can do about the Londoners that are ******** themselves;)

This rule applies the world over for all nationalities and cultures and in all countries. :)

Another tip.....Contrary to popular belief, Londoners do NOT hate Americans. However, they DO hate Americans that behave like ********. However, there is nothing that you can do about the Londoners that are ******** themselves;)

This rule applies the world over for all nationalities and cultures and in all countries. :)

A fact I observed long ago. My wife and I are seasoned travelers and always make friends along the way.
We intend to pass that along to the kids at all costs.
I found a little vacation rental in Fulham. It's a bit further away than the hostel, but costs about the same for the four of us. (thanks, Gearbeer, that was a great suggestion that I hadn't searched on)
Hopefully I'll be able to get the dates I want.
Thanks and Cheers to all.

Back