recommendations for a digital scale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gertrude

Reaction score
Well it looks like if I'm going to do this hobby correctly,
I'm going to need a digital scale to properly follow some of the suggested recipies.
My batches will all be done in 1 gallon glass fermenting jars, and then racked into 1 gallon glass jugs.

Do you have any recommendations on preferred Digital Scales that you have used, liked, and/or Disliked ?
Thanks

I've been very happy with this one, been using it for a couple years.

Edit: I think I should mention that it does have a minor defect: If you add whatever you're measuring too slowly, it seems to assume calibration is drifting, and re-tarr. I haven't found that a problem since I first noticed it, it's easy to work around. But maybe a better scale wouldn't do that.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Wei...hild=1&keywords=AWS-100&qid=1609423506&sr=8-3

Last edited:
I've been through a few digital scales. Although some will say theirs will measure in 0.01 oz increments, it actually weighs in 0.03 oz increments. This makes fractions of an ounce impossible to get accurately.

I went the other direction and got a dial scale like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8GJ2C1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_sKE7Fb1D14R0P?psc=1I use is for hops, specialty grains, and adjuncts. Absolutely love it.

I use this commercial refrigerant scale. Because of its intended use, it is accurate at low weights, but can take a lot of weight too, from hops to closed keg transfers. Very durable, affordable (around $150 new, but can often be found used for less), good features.

https://www.robinair.com/products/slimline-refrigerant-scale

Probably good for most ingredients, but a little coarse for things like metasulphite or sorbate when you're stabilizing, which is what I use my digital scale for.

The nutrients and energizers I buy have measurements per gallon listed on the label. I can't imagine why you would need hundredths on a scale. I would focus on making sure it can measure a good deal of weight; a gallon of water weighs 7.25 lbs. and honey is heavier than water. then you have the weight of the container. It's a blessing to have a scale you can put your equipment on and then zero it out so you can accurately weigh the honey and/or other ingredient in a single vessel.

The nutrients and energizers I buy have measurements per gallon listed on the label. I can't imagine why you would need hundredths on a scale. I would focus on making sure it can measure a good deal of weight; a gallon of water weighs 7.25 lbs. and honey is heavier than water. then you have the weight of the container. It's a blessing to have a scale you can put your equipment on and then zero it out so you can accurately weigh the honey and/or other ingredient in a single vessel.

Well, sorbate is, what, 0.75 g per gallon? If I'm running a 1 gallon fermenter, I want to be closer than +/-2g. But, sure, +/-0.01 is overkill, a tenth of a gram would be fine.

For heavier stuff I have a kitchen scale, I save the digital scale for the really small scale stuff. Meta K, sodium nitrate for sausage making, stuff that you use really small quantities of to begin with.

Well, sorbate is, what, 0.75 g per gallon? If I'm running a 1 gallon fermenter, I want to be closer than +/-2g. But, sure, +/-0.01 is overkill, a tenth of a gram would be fine.

For heavier stuff I have a kitchen scale, I save the digital scale for the really small scale stuff. Meta K, sodium nitrate for sausage making, stuff that you use really small quantities of to begin with.
I hope my comment didn't seem confrontational. In my ignorance I have not discovered a need for 100ths, though I am sure there is, and it is obviously the brewers prerogative. I am sorry if my comment was hasty.

Nah, I'm not offended. In fact, I agree that 100th of a g resolution probably is overkill for brewing. But there are ingredients where you probably do want at least a 10th of a gram resolution, especially if you're making small batches.

The thing is, 100th of a gram resolution is pretty cheap in digital scales.

Back