Recommend A REASONABLE pH Meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'll need one. All the inexpensive ones I've seen at Amazon seem to be quite mixed.. which I guess is to be expected.

I guess I'd be looking for one under $100.

One I found today is put out by Thermoworks.. the folks that sell the great Thermopen... Anyone familiar with this one? Has replaceable probes. I think they go for $89.. about.

Why do you think you'll need one? If you're worried about pH, for example brewing with lots of roasted grains, save your money and buy some pH strips designed for brewing.

Hanna HI98128. Can be had for ~$85, pretty good resolution and accuracy ratings, replaceable bulb, works very well, looks like this...
98127_200.jpg

I'm a satisfied user, fwiw...

Cheers!

PLOVE: Another toy? More accuracy in pH? Lots of reasons. I've ordered some pH strips and will use them until I can find a reasonable meter.. but, I worked in a lab in a past life and used strips as a general indicator.. but, not if I wanted to know "exactly"

DT: Thanks.. that appeared while I was typing my response to PLOVE. Good reports, especially reports that take in multiple, not singular uses are great.

I still have a nearly full tube of Colorphast 4 to 7pH strips. I guess they work ok but the ambiguity level always left me wondering. There's very little ambiguity in a good pH meter...

Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YH06Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have this one. I prefer having the probe separate from the electronics. It’s easy to leave the probe in solution waiting for the temp to settle out. You don’t have to stand on your head to read it. It takes a nine volt battery instead of four of those stupid button cells.

Be sure to get the storage solution and the 4 and 7 buffers.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 I use the Hanna one above and it is a good one I believe. Not sure if it has the Auto Temp correction on that one or not, mine does, but when testing the mash it should be somewhat cooled off anyways.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YH06Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have this one. I prefer having the probe separate from the electronics. It’s easy to leave the probe in solution waiting for the temp to settle out. You don’t have to stand on your head to read it. It takes a nine volt battery instead of four of those stupid button cells.

Be sure to get the storage solution and the 4 and 7 buffers.

+1, but I got the MW102, prefer the atc

Last edited by a moderator:
So phep5 or mw102. Price between phep5 and mw102 not much different. Mw102 has better accuracy..

"Why do you think you'll need one? If you're worried about pH, for example brewing with lots of roasted grains, save your money and buy some pH strips designed for brewing."

Sorry man. pH strips are about as accurate as a rifle with a shot out barrel. The brewer probably isn't worried about what lots of roasted grains do. The brewer may be thinking about souring up the mash with lactic or sauer malz. He may be thinking about not stripping tannins during sparge. The brewer may do decoctions, where accurate measurement of mash pH is essential, due to boiling the mash. He may use it for accurately determining water pH before adding chemicals. The brewer may not be interested in saving money by using a tube of 5 dollar, archaic, pH strips. Perhaps, the brewer is focused on owning modern, accurate devices, that aid him/her in accomplishing brewing procedures that create finer, more consistant beer.

OP: I own a Weiss 6250. It's rugged, waterproof, and extremely accurate. However, it's a few bucks more than 100. Weiss makes pretty good stuff. They've been around a long time. The 80-100 dollar meters don't seem to have the longevity when used hard. If you do a lot of brewing and are going to brew for years, you'll go through enough of them to warrant the finer Weiss.

Back