Recommend a Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Decided it is time to get a grain mill. Any suggestions? I like the Monster 3 roller but the stainless upgrade puts it a little high for me to justify, any reason not to buy the mild steel version? Or should I be looking at another brand/model?
thanks,
Mike

Decided it is time to get a grain mill. Any suggestions? I like the Monster 3 roller but the stainless upgrade puts it a little high for me to justify, any reason not to buy the mild steel version? Or should I be looking at another brand/model?
thanks,
Mike
The Barley Crusher is the way to go!! I love mine. It is rock solid and the customer service is incredible should you have ANY issues at all. Randy is a great guy to deal with. Makes parting with $150 easy IMHO. :rockin:

I heard an interview with the guy from Monster Mills, and he said that the non-stainless may actually last a little longer because it is stronger than the stainless mill, and I believe actually recomended the non-stainless. As long as you don't let it get wet or store it in a humid enviroment, it shouldn't corrode either.

+1 on the Barley Crusher. Mine works great, it's easy to adjust and seems tough enough to last a lifetime. The 7# hopper model is only $114.50

With the Monster mill the down side is you'll have to build your own hopper and base.

Of course, with the Monster Mill the upside is that you get to build your own hopper and base.

:D DIY or No DIY?

I am a pretty hands on guy so building a base and hopper does not scare me a bit.
I just spoke to the Monster Mill guy and he recommended the 2 roller in stainless over the three roller. I am still looking around though. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming
ML

I don't know how the shipping works out, but if you go through the BYO website the barley crusher IIRC is like $5 cheaper.

<hmmm, nevermind. I can't seem to find it.> (sigh)

Your in Michigan like me, you can drive over to Randys and buy a Barley Crusher from him.
That's what I did and he is a hell of a nice guy too.

Back