Recognize this brew cask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchW

Reaction score
Hello!

This brew cask was a part of some other stuff I purchased off KIJIJI. The owner had no idea about it.
I've been trying to find the manufacturer to see how a person is supposed to use it, but not having much luck.

It holds about 10 liters (A bit over 2 gallons)

Can anyone point me in a good direction?
20201024_185827.jpg20201024_185913.jpg
Thanks!

It kinda looks like a pressure barrel. They’re pretty popular in the UK for home brewing. Basically serve out of the thing and charge it with CO2 as you dispense it.

Maybe one of the small CO2 cartridges can screw into the top black part?

It kinda looks like a pressure barrel. They’re pretty popular in the UK for home brewing. Basically serve out of the thing and charge it with CO2 as you dispense it.

Maybe one of the small CO2 cartridges can screw into the top black part?
Yes, was a CO2 cartridge in it. The UK thing is an interesting lead. Thanks!

Having grown up watching The Three Stooges, I have an affinity for Seltzer Bottles and tend to by them when I find them at Flea Markets and Junk Stores. One CO2 cartridge will carbonate one liter of very cold water, so if I were going to use it to carb beer, I'd expect to use 6 to 10 cartridges to carbonate and 2 or so to serve.

Having grown up watching The Three Stooges, I have an affinity for Seltzer Bottles and tend to by them when I find them at Flea Markets and Junk Stores. One CO2 cartridge will carbonate one liter of very cold water, so if I were going to use it to carb beer, I'd expect to use 6 to 10 cartridges to carbonate and 2 or so to serve.

That's a lot of cartridges!

The "Pressure Barrel" was what I needed to get close to finding this model so far.

It seems the idea is that you put your beer in it along with sugar. That does the carbonation. The cartridge is just for serving, and to keep a blanket of CO2 over the beer as it is dispensed.
They make them in a 5 gallon size as well.
Not exactly what I thought it was, but ok, I can work with that. Just need to clear some room in the fridge now!

Yet another inexpensive and super cool brewing gadget that we can't seem to get easily in the U.S. How annoying! I'd love to have a couple of those to serve UK style cask ales.

It's similar in concept to the defunct Tap-a-Draft product, which was flawed for several reasons but deserved further development. If you have any leads on how to get one of these in the U.S., please do tell.

Thanks

McKnuckle an easy way to serve cask style ale in the US is to use polypins. I think the “real” name for them is cubitainer and you can get them from US Plastic in a variety of sizes from 1 gallon on up. Basically prime in the cubitainer and serve either through the spigot or hook it up to a beer engine (diy or real deal). What’s nice is they collapse as the beer is drawn out so you don’t need external CO2.

Yet another inexpensive and super cool brewing gadget that we can't seem to get easily in the U.S. How annoying! I'd love to have a couple of those to serve UK style cask ales.

It's similar in concept to the defunct Tap-a-Draft product, which was flawed for several reasons but deserved further development. If you have any leads on how to get one of these in the U.S., please do tell.

Thanks
We purchased one of these "cask widges" along with an anagram beer engine... I'm still looking for a cheap chest freezer to keep the cask in to keep it at a stable cellar temp at the brewpub so we havent used it yet

Back