Recirculating with Brewers Edge Mash&Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardSol

Reaction score
Getting the new M&B series two but opted for the non-pump version thinking it would be better to add my own pump. For those that have added aftermarket recirculation systems, what pumps are you using and what does your configuration (picture) look like? Thanks.

I started out with a chugger pump mainly to transfer wort into my fermenter. I added a Mark II SS pump for recirculation thru my RIMS tube. The Mark II pump works out well for this since it is considerably more quite than the chugger pump and since it is rated for less flow it is more suitable for recirc.
With two pumps I now fly sparge.

IMG_0329.jpgIMG_0330.jpg

I brew with the M&B and mine has the pump. Its not the best pump but it does a great job recirculating. At times it can clog but after you use the unit for awhile its easy to unclog.

I have a no pump mash and boil. It's a great system. I use a Pyrex measuring cup for manual recirculation. It works like a champ. I've never had a clog, never have snow flow or cavitation. Clean up is a snap, just put it in the dish washer. There's no tubing to mess with, there's no losses from the extra equipment. I get 75-78% BH efficiency on all but high gravity beers. I wouldn't bother with the pump. Just my 2 cents. It really is a great system. Take your time getting to know how to brew on it and be patient, every new piece of gear has a learning curve.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a no pump mash and boil. It's a great system. I use a Pyrex measuring cup for manual recirculation. It works like a champ. I've never had a clog, never have snow flow or cavitation. Clean up is a snap, just put it in the dish washer. There's no tubing to mess with, there's no losses from the extra equipment. I get 75-78% BH efficiency on all but high gravity beers. I wouldn't bother with the pump. Just my 2 cents. It really is a great system. Take your time getting to know how to brew on it and be patient, every new piece of gear has a learning curve.

Cheers!
Question: I too have a no pump Mash & Boil, and I've been using a Pyrex the same way you do. I'm not sure how often to recirculate, though. How often do you do it during the mash?

Question: I too have a no pump Mash & Boil, and I've been using a Pyrex the same way you do. I'm not sure how often to recirculate, though. How often do you do it during the mash?
@SaisonMan I recirculate about 1G every 15 minutes during the mash. I also give the grain a good stir every 15 minutes as well.

Cheers!

How do you minimize grain falling unto the heating element. I've used my Brewers Edge twice and both times had burnt grain encrusted to the heating element, giving wort a funky taste. Thanks

How do you minimize grain falling unto the heating element. I've used my Brewers Edge twice and both times had burnt grain encrusted to the heating element, giving wort a funky taste. Thanks

I don’t know if anyone else does this, but I use a 5-gallon painter’s mesh strainer that I clip to the rim of the Mash & Boil. You can buy those at the hardware store. I was getting a lot of debris in my fermenter so I started boiling the crushed grain in the strainer. It works pretty well and I’m guessing would solve your problem.

I don’t know if anyone else does this, but I use a 5-gallon painter’s mesh strainer that I clip to the rim of the Mash & Boil. You can buy those at the hardware store. I was getting a lot of debris in my fermenter so I started boiling the crushed grain in the strainer. It works pretty well and I’m guessing would solve your problem.
Thanks for the tip. Also wonder if a BIAB brew would work in the Mash and Boil system?

I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags in the mash pipe. Makes cleaning up easy as well. $5 for 2 at most hardware stores or just under $1 each off Amazon.

I added that, decreased my grind from .35 to .28, and stirred every 15 minutes instead of every 30 minutes and my mash efficiency went from 63% to 72%. I know, I should have done one thing at a time but 🤷‍♂️.

Back