Recirculating Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I have a Brutus 10 setup, and as with the original Brutus, I continuously recirculate my mash. For those with a similar setup, is there a concern that the hose discharge hitting the same spot of the grainbed throughout the mash could lead to loss in efficiency? I have made an effort to frequently stir the mash and move the hose around.

I did this for a while, but abandoned the hose and went with a manifold type thing for the return (similar to a sparge arm). I didn't see a huge change in efficiency, but I sure feel better about water passing through more evenly. I still stir as I think that always raises efficiency.

Im stiil fairly new to brewing but have 7 brews under my belt. I recirculate with my set up and cant seem to get more than 67% efficiency.

texasbrewer73 said:
I did this for a while, but abandoned the hose and went with a manifold type thing for the return (similar to a sparge arm). I didn't see a huge change in efficiency, but I sure feel better about water passing through more evenly. I still stir as I think that always raises efficiency.

Do you have any photos of this manifold?

I have a similar setup. I just put the hose in and recirculate slowly being careful not disturb the grain bed. It shouldn't really matter with a false bottom. The wort should be drawn through pretty evenly without any channeling.

Yeah, I've never had a problem either. You don't want the return to be drilling a hole into the grain bed, but otherwise a false bottom will get you pretty steady mixing. With a gentle return, I get a nice, steady spin on the water above my grain bed. With that, there's no stratification going on.

The original owner of my brew system said he routinely got 85-90% on it.....(RIMS system)
5N75G25H73F73J23o3c78dca270bd428a1672.jpg

MLT
5Ka5H85M33K83F83N6c78dacfb171826011db.jpg

I'll find out for sure this weekend and try to get back with ya and let you know how it worked for me.

Latest posts

Back