Recirculating eBiab return location - sidewall vs lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBucky

Reaction score
Question for those of you with experience. I am building my recirculating ebiab setup based on the 62 qt Bayou Classic kettle with basket.

I was originally thinking I would put the return in the sidewall higher up and have it connect up with locline, but am now realizing that the basket would interfere.

I thought this would be nice to not have the return in the lid. Am I better off ditching the basket and getting a false bottom like the ones Bobby has at brewhardware.com (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabbottom15.htm)? Or just stick with the basket and put the return port in the lid?

Any opinions?

Thanks much! :mug:

@The_Bishop comes in the top of his lid and then into locline:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7391182&postcount=81

Seems effective for him.

Going in through the side will always be problematic because it will interfere with the function of a bag. I use a spring clamp to hold my silicone tubing in the top of the keg. Works fine, just isn't pretty.

I've had my return in the lid and didn't like it one bit. There were always times I wanted to run my pump but couldn't because I was either letting the grain or hop bag hang in the kettle, or I needed to use an immersion chiller, and on and on.

I ended up getting the 62 quart Bayou Classic without the basket, bought a BIAB false bottom from Bobby, and use a shop clamp to hold my tee with RTD to the handle of the kettle. Not attractive to the eye, but I sure like the flexibility.

Skip the basket, go with the BIAB false bottom from brew hardware. I have had fewer recirculation problems since I switched.
As far as the recirculation return , I run mine through the lid, but there are times I wish it wasn't. I think the texaswine setup is the way to go

I have it in my lid right now. I may change it but for now I don't mind it. I had a regular copper arm spraying it. I just recently bought locline and will place it closer to the mash so it doesn't create as much O2 into the mash and foam on top. I will also use the locline for whirlpooling at the end of boil. For now I have it clipped to the side but would like a blukhead on top. If I go that route I'll probably use that same bulkhead for recirculating the mash.

I have the locline in the lid, as shown above. No issues, especially with everything connected via camlocks.

The hose I run to the lid has one of Bobby's 90 degree barb fittings on the camlock so if I need to recirc with the lid off (cleaning, mostly) it hangs right there. I also have a male camlock on a section of hose for filling the fermenter, so I can add that on if needed.

Is the lockline long enough you could use it to whirlpool as well?

I've had my return in the lid and didn't like it one bit. There were always times I wanted to run my pump but couldn't because I was either letting the grain or hop bag hang in the kettle, or I needed to use an immersion chiller, and on and on.

I ended up getting the 62 quart Bayou Classic without the basket, bought a BIAB false bottom from Bobby, and use a shop clamp to hold my tee with RTD to the handle of the kettle. Not attractive to the eye, but I sure like the flexibility.

Could you post a picture of yours TexasWine? I have mine coming through the lid now, works ok. Can be annoying though.

Could you post a picture of yours TexasWine? I have mine coming through the lid now, works ok. Can be annoying though.

Here's a picture of it in place but not connected you anything. Like I said, nothing fancy.

Wort flows into the QD pointed toward my feet, exits the tee through the barb pointed into the kettle. The whole thing rests on the handle and is clamped to it.

View attachment 1473675585629.jpg

Mine is on the side near the top, but I use tri-clover connections for easy removal. During the boil, I have blank plane the is clamped in place. I can whirlpool from this port on top or use the port on the bottom.

Back