Recirculating BIAB setup on an induction burner question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccostel

Reaction score
Morning all, I am putting thoughts together on a Recirculating Brew In A Bag setup. This is for my smaller experimental brews. I am currently using an induction burner, a 5 gallon kettle and a bag to do my experimental 3 gallon batches. I am wanting to add a ball valve to the kettle and use a small pump to recirculate the wort. Here is where my concern comes in... Will I have an issue with the ball valve being too close to the induction burner? Is there a safe distance from the burner I need the valve and fittings to be?

My experience has been that it shouldn't be an issue. The vast majority of the heat from an induction burner is concentrated on the bottom of the kettle. Here is a picture of my setup.

6266754481.jpg

I do recirc BIAB in my Blichmann 15g on the Blichmann propane burner and it works fine.

...and if you've ever tried to open or close a ball valve on a Blichmann over a propane burner, you'll know that everything else you could compare would be okay. It's basically like putting the ball valve in the heart of the flames of hell.

Word of warning, I just repaired a bag that had a hole burnt through it from an induction burner. The brewer said he was stirring constantly. I didn't think that would happen. Perhaps best to have something in the bottom of the kettle, FB, cookie rack, pizza screen, even heard of a guy using a china dinner plate?

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back