Recirculate from bottom? Considering this mod for Anvil Foundry....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
Im thinking about using the Brewzilla whirlpool arm thru the lid of Anvil Foundry, combined with recirl pump, to recirc from the bottom of the mash. Hoping it will reduce the stirring and bottom hotspots. Thoughts?

Work? Not work? No effect?

arm1.png
+
cam.png

Not sure why it wouldn’t work, as you’re effectively duplicating Anvil’s recirculating kit albeit with an arm vs tubing.

But even with that setup, (per the manual anyways) it is still recommended that you stir the top third of the mash every 15 minutes.

I got the idea from watching this homemade setup where he incorporates a recirc whirlpool return in bottom of the mash, keep it moving from bottom:

Does a whirlpool arm replace a top recirculation arm thur lid or compliemnt it? I have an Anvil foundry that recrics the beer thru the top lid. Would this whirlpool arm repalce top recirc? Thx!

Last edited:
Does a whirlpool arm repalce a top recirculationarm thur lit or compliemnt it? I have an Anvil foundry that recrics the beer thru the top lid. Would this lower whirlpool arms repalce that basically? Thx!
Save yourself the effort. Get a Braumeister ;) . The internal pump gently pushes the wort upward through the grain bed, which then cascades down the side to repeat the cycle. Not as flashy as some of the newer all-in-one systems, but the things built like a brick..... (fill in the blanks). Had mine for 7 years and absolutely love it.

Lol. No can do. Just nbought an Anvil Foundry a few months ago. Cant swap that soon, and keep the budget, and marriage ;^)

I found that my mash temp had dropped below the temperature of the water in the bottom of the kettle and recirculated to keep the mash at temp.

Does a whirlpool arm repalce a top recirculationarm thur lit or compliemnt it? I have an Anvil foundry that recrics the beer thru the top lid. Would this lower whirlpool arms repalce that basically? Thx!

What are you asking here?
The over board would just be connected to the silicon hose like the small metal arm that goes through the lid.

My current Foundry recircs beer through bottom kettle outlet spigot, thru a pump, then up tubing to small metal arm that goes thru tube. Would the whirlpool arm replace that circuit or be a separate one in addition?

nevermind, you arent trying to whirlpool.

I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

But go for it. I've built plenty of things that didn't make much sense at the time.

My current Foundry recircs beer through bottom kettle outlet spigot, thru a pump, then up tubing to small metal arm that goes thru tube. Would the whirlpool arm replace that circuit or be a separate one in addition?

Two different things. The setup that came with the Foundry is just to circulate the wort through the grainbed during mash. The whirlpool is after the mash is done and you're trying to chill it to get ready to dump into the fermenter.

The OverBoard arm is meant for the whirlpool portion.

I've tried to use that arm that came with the Anvil setup to whirlpool but it gets tricky standing there holding the tube down into the kettle to make it work. I gave up and just used a spoon to make it whirl in there the last time.

Thansk everyone. That all makes sense. I did buy one from Brew hardware to try it out. Mianly to whirlpool hops, not so much decrease cooling time. Will report back.

I have the one from brew hardware. Had them tack weld on a cam connector too, and purchased on of their cam lock compression fittings to fit onto the metal tube that goes into the anvil lid. Works great and since they are both cam locks, connect/disconnect is super easy and relatively spill free.

Latest posts

Back