recipes with grapefruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakdreads

Reaction score
Has anyone every tried making a brew with grapefruit- I had a wonderful grapefruit the other day and the wheels started to turn, but i don't know where i would start- anyone have any suggestions?

I added grapefruit zest to a wit, turned out nicely. Adding citrus juice can be tough, the fermented flavor isn't the same as the fresh flavor. For the first few months the mead I did with orange juice tasted like an orange juice that sat out overnight.

Yup. Used it on the same brew for 4 iterations now with great success.

Check 099 Gingembre et Pamplemousse in my recipes.

Grapefruit zest works great in beer, IMHO. Use only the zest, only the colored part, not the white bitter part. I like it in that Belgian with Wyeast 1388. I think it'd pair well with many Belgian styles or Hefeweizen and might also go good in a porter or some other dark beer. I've just done with the Belgian myself though I seem to remember using tangerine zest on a porter ten or so years ago.

I did have the taste of a weizen when I was thinking that grapefruit would be a great thing. Thanx- Ill check out the recipe- Cheers

Just brewed a robust porter yesterday and used the zest of a couple of grapefruits with 5 mins before flame out. Trying to figure out how to add more grapefruit flavor/aroma. The wort smelled great after adding the zest.

Just brewed a robust porter yesterday and used the zest of a couple of grapefruits with 5 mins before flame out. Trying to figure out how to add more grapefruit flavor/aroma. The wort smelled great after adding the zest.

You could probably "dry zest" (instead of dry hop) or whip up a "zest tea". I've never tried it, but i don't see why either couldn't be done.

Latest posts

Back