Recipes to use Cry Havoc with...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
So, my lhbs had some Cry Havoc yeast when I was in recently and I know it is Papazian's house yeast. I also know it can be used for ales as well as lagers.

I am always trying new things with brewing and want to use this soon but am reluctant to throw it in with just anything. I was hoping some folks could help a fellow HBT member out with some styles or ingredients or recipes this yeast has worked well in, and any cautionary advice also would be helpful.

I am trying to do an IPA in the next couple of months but I am not sure if it may be the best option for that style.

Thanks in advance for all the replies!

Pulled the trigger (valve handle??) on this recipe and will pitch wlp862 in the early am tomorrow. Hope to start it off low, around 62°, and gently bring it up to 66° over a week to ten days. Bottle in 2-3 weeks and drink soon thereafter.

I will post results as they show themselves.

Pre boil gravity was 1.050 and OG was 1.058. Pitched at 6:15 am today. Fingers are crossed!

Collected 6 gallons ib the carboy so I attached a blow off tube just in case.

Checked at 24 hours post-pitch and saw a mild amount of krausen on my beer. I am keeping the swamp cooler cooled to about 62° which may be why the fermentation is slower and not as ferocious as I am used to seeing. Or it could be the smaller amount of pitched yeast after harvesting a small amount for use later.

Either way I am as giddy as a little school kid on field day!

2" of krausen on day 5, keeping temps around 62° ambient. Love it!

Bottled this yesterday and came out at 5.9% abv with an FG of 1.013 after 14 days fermentation. Tasted great with a crisp, citrus like palate. A good pale ale I think. Will see how it is at 10 days in the bottle.

I got a couple bottles of old stuff a while back for half off. Was planning on doing a california common with it but never got around to it. Ended up using this several times in cider from the starter I made, split, and stored. Works really nicely. Ferments nice and slow and leaves a lot of the apple flavor.

I got a couple bottles of old stuff a while back for half off. Was planning on doing a california common with it but never got around to it. Ended up using this several times in cider from the starter I made, split, and stored. Works really nicely. Ferments nice and slow and leaves a lot of the apple flavor.

I noticed this! I had krausen for 10-11 days, longer than usual.

Maybe I'll whip up a 1 gal batch of hydromel with it since it worked well in cider. Its super old so definitely needs a mini starter.

Back