Recipes by ratios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I watched a youtube video interview of a pro brewer. This guy said that he won't even talk to someone if they describe a recipe in terms of pounds and ounces of grain. Rather he likes for the recipe to be described in terms of ratios or percentages. Like 84% 2 row, 10% Vienna, 6% Chocolate, or whatever. This way you can compare what you are getting as far as the recipe goes and you can scale it to whatever size you want.

This made a lot of sense to me as far as thinking about a recipe. What I don't get is how you evaluate the parts of the recipe that are not grain. For example, if you have x amount of hop1 and y amount of hop2. Those are specific amounts (ounces in a five gallon batch for example). When you put it in terms of this ratio based recipe I don't understand how you could describe the hops or any other additions that you may be doing. At least I don't see how you could do it and maintain this generic batch-size-less way of describing a recipe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on describing recipes by percentage and/or how you would describe the full recipe in these terms, including hop additions?

Thanks

Boil hop additions are often described in the time added and IBU contribution. For dry hops, its described as the ratio of pounds/bbl. That way its scale-able to other systems

Latest posts

Back