recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfred88

Reaction score
a recipe i made was thinking about brewing any sujestions ?

1LB Carapils (Briess) 155 for 45 mins
1LB honey malt 155 for 45 mins
3 LB Briess Dried Malt Extract- Sparkling Amber
3LB Briess Dried Malt Extract- Golden Light
1oz cascade pellet hops 60 min
1oz tettnang pellet hops 30 min
1oz German Magnum Pellet Hops 5 min
6lb black berries 10 min boil
White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast WL007

I would not boil the fruit, you'll change the flavor and probably get pectin haze. Lots of info on the forums about how to add fruit (usually to secondary). It also looks to me like you have your hops reversed. I'd think you would want to bitter with the magnum and use the cascade late in the boil.

Magnum hops at 5 min seems odd, that's a bittering hop not much for flavors and aroma. That would be my 60min addition.

The 15 min hop is fine, Cascade at 60min will be mostly bittering. If you want that classic grapefruit / citrus flavor and aroma from that hop use that as a late addition.

Seems like a lot of CaraPils, which is mainly for head retention. I generally will use about half a pound in an all grain batch. The DME that you are adding already has some CaraPils in it.

By the way, Briess's website suggests using CaraPils as 5% of the malt bill (i.e., about half a pound for a 5 gallon batch).

I agree on dropping the carapils or cut back to 4-8 oz tops.

Berries are best added to secondary or after fermentation winds down. There are plenty of ways to do it but I have had success by adding a bit of berries to secondary by freezing them, soaking them in star san to be safe and using 1 cup per 5 gallons for color...makes a nice pink wheat beer which the ladies love!

revised

Black berry beer

½ LB Carapils (Briess) 155 for 45 mins
1LB honey malt 155 for 45 mins
3 LB Briess Dried Malt Extract- Sparkling Amber
3LB Briess Dried Malt Extract- Golden Light
1oz cascade pellet hops 5min
1oz tettnang pellet hops 30 min
1oz German Magnum Pellet Hops 60 min
6lb black berries secondary
White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast WL007

Back