Recipe with Irish or British Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgull8502

Reaction score
I'm looking trying to find a good extract recipe for my next brew.

I have some Irish Ale yeast that I washed a few weeks ago as well as some British Ale yeast in the fermenter now. I'd like to use either of these since I have them on hand.

I've just made a stout and brown ale, so I'd like to try something different. I was thinking maybe something like a Bass clone or Irish Red. After some browsing of the recipe postings, nothing really jumped out at me. It seems that a lot of these types of recipes that get the most attention are all grain versions.

If anyone has any recommendations let me know!

You could try out my https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/common-room-esb-83878/ recipe. It is written for all grain but is simply converted to extract. Use 0.75 lb LME or 0.6 lb DME for every pound of base grain. So you would use 7.5 lbs LME or 6 lbs. DME for that recipe. The crystal grains can be steeped for 30 minutes at 154 F. It should make a good match for British Ale yeast.

Irish red, extract+steeping grains (converted from an all grain I did), 6 gallons post boil:

9lbs British pale ale LME
6oz Caramel 40L
6oz Caramel 120L
4oz Roasted Barley

Target about 30 IBUs (1.55oz at 4%AA, for example) from a British hop, 60 minute addition only.

I actually used the WLP005 (British Ale Yeast) with this batch and was less than impressed (poor attenuation, do not care for the taste). But, I think using the Irish Ale yeast might give better results.

Latest posts

Back