Recipe with a Munich Base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenanchor

Reaction score
Hey is there an ale that uses Munich malt as the base? I would do a dark lager, but I don't have lagering abilities yet.

You can do a lager-like munich dunkel ale if you use a nice neutral yeast like US05 or Nottingham.

'Best Laid Plans' in my recipe dropdown (you need to scroll past all the recipe guidelines) is a munich-based oatmeal stout.

Having done a stout just last week I'm thinking of either going the dunkel route and fermenting around 60*F with Nottingham, or doing a Munich SMASH. If I do go the SMASH route I'll only have access to Chinook, Cascade, Cenntenial, Tradition, and Willamette. I'm thinking about using the Tradition or Willamette.

I would personally ferment the dunkel with Kolsch yeast or even better Wyeast 2112 California Lager Yeast. They both ferment well at 60F. And one is actually a lager, why compromise for an ale yeast when you can use a warm fermenting lager yeast!!! Unless of course you don't have access to these...

I would use hallertauer as well. That's just me though.

Yeah availability is the main issue right now. The store that started selling brewing supplies in town is very limited and very over priced. They only have Danstar and Fermentis dry yeasts, and a few select types of specialty grain.

I did a Munich SMaSH and it has been great. I have a really good idea how to use it now. I did a rest at 140 and one at 152 to try and improve my attenuation. Munich has a tendency to leave a bit of sweetness so you should either plan for it or find a way to make your wort more fermentable.

I would personally ferment the dunkel with Kolsch yeast or even better Wyeast 2112 California Lager Yeast. They both ferment well at 60F. And one is actually a lager, why compromise for an ale yeast when you can use a warm fermenting lager yeast!!! Unless of course you don't have access to these...

I would use hallertauer as well. That's just me though.

IIRC, the 2112 yeast will give a lot of character to the beer that isn't typically wanted in a Munich-style beer; their beers are malty and clean, with just a touch of hop to balance, but very little yeast character.

IIRC, the 2112 yeast will give a lot of character to the beer that isn't typically wanted in a Munich-style beer; their beers are malty and clean, with just a touch of hop to balance, but very little yeast character.

Yes, I am aware. Are you suggesting that Nottingham would be more authentic?

We're not talking about brewing to style here, we're talking about brewing something with what he has.

Kaiser has a real nice Alt bier that's 89% Munich.
Kaiser Alt - German Brewing Techniques

I actually saw this recipe and figured if the LBHS has Carafa II special I'd do this recipe. If they do end up having it, which I will ascertain tonight, what would be a suitable substitute for Wyeast 1007? Also, is there an acceptable substitute for Carafa II special? I have a full pound of black patent, and I know it can be used as color in Schwarzbier, so would this work?

Called the LBHS and they had the caramunich for the recipe, but not the carafa II. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and do the recipe and sub the black patent making sure to adjust for SRMs, and use Nottingham fermented at a lower temp to make sure it comes out clean.

Yeh good call. Carafa is mostly for colour, black patent will work, though it's roastier.

You could crush it finely in a coffee grinder (like 3-4 ozs max) and then throw it in when you sparge. That way it will colour the wort, but not be as roasty.

Awesome, I figured it was mostly color since it was only 1% of the grain bill. Thanks for the tip on the coffee ground crush.

That should work out right nice, especially if you do the sparge-only on the black malt.

Let us know how it turned out.

OK brewing this tonight. Scaled the recipe at

9.00 lbs Munich Malt
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt
0.08 lb Black Patent Malt
1.2 oz Tradition [6.00%] (60 min)

Planning a 2 step infusion with decoction mash out and a double batch sparge.

Protein Rest - 9.07 qt water at a step temp of 122 for 30 minutes
Saccrification - 8.06 qt water at a step temp of 150 for 30 minutes
Mash Out - 8.06 qt water at a step temp of 168 for 10 minutes

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Back