Recipe Variant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I'm building an automated electric brewing technology for my brewery and I am trying to decide how best to implement the idea of a brew variant?

Say a recipe calls for 5 lbs of a specific grain and I only have 4.9 lbs, I miscalculated :(. I'm in the garage ready to brew and this isn't a huge discrepancy, but it is different. The question is, is this a different recipe or is it a variant of the existing recipe?

All of the recipe/brew details are saved in a database, so the specifics of the recipe variance is easy to keep track of.

So, your in the process of brewing this recipe and you discover the issue, do you want to just make an edit to the grain bill for the specific brew and the variant is automatically created, or go back and make a clone of the recipe and make the changes to the recipe so you always brew unchanged recipes?

Back