Recipe to use when using baking/bread yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
I am determined to brew a batch with the off the shelf baking/bread yeasts. Does anyone know a recipe that the bread/baking yeast is used?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

That ^ and bread yeast does not make good beer.

If you want to do this solely to experiment, you need to ferment at the lowest possible temperatures for that type of yeast, almost to the point where the yeast craps out, but not quite. The first few days to a week are the most critical or you'll be drinking popcorn butter flavored rocket fuel. And it's always going to taste like bread.

I am not going to bake a bread. As an experiment I want to brew a beer using baking yeast that is all. So is there any all grain beer recipe that uses baking yeast? I don't care how it tastes or smells.

If you're doing an experiment, then does getting a recipe from another source really matter? If you want to see what using bread yeast in a beer does, then make a beer and use bread yeast.

If you are interested in a true experiment, I would brew a split batch of a beer you have brewed before and know well. In half the batch, pitch the yeast you normally use. In the other half, pitch bread yeast. Ferment under the conditions you normally use. Package, carbonate and compare.

The recipe was to determine the mash temperature the gravity suitable for the bread yeast. I have no idea what the mash temp and gravity should be for giving the bread yeast the best conditions to ferment. If I cannot find any recipes, I will probably do what you said.

I would think going with a known recipe should give you a starting point to determine whether the bread yeast makes a suitable substitute for beer yeast.

Once you have your initial result, you'd know whether you need to adjust mash temps up or down to account for yeast choice

Experimenting is fun and fine! I look forward to your results.

If it were me, and it's not, I would aim for about a 2.75 gallon batch and split into three 1 gallon carboys (i.e. juice jugs). I'd probably pick a scottish ale recipe (60/- maybe) to keep the ingredients and hops very simple and subdued, and so it will showcase the yeast.

I'd pitch three kinds of yeast (red star ADY, fleishmanns ADY, and US05 as a control). I aim for fermenting them all around 62-64F - no higher. Honestly, I don't know a proper temp range for bread yeast so you might want to start it around 55-58F and start raising the temp 1 degree per day after 24 hours until you see fermentation starting, and then keep it there for the duration of fermentation.

It sounds like a fun experiment but I would personally choose three different dried beer yeasts to do this experiment in hopes of yielding three drinkable and enjoyable finished products (english, belgian, us05). But it would cost more money for sure.

I don't care how it tastes or smells.
YUM!!!

I went to college with a guy who brought this philosophy to almost everything he put into his body. I don't know if these facts are connected somehow, but he works for the Postal Service now.

Prohibition Beer.
1 can Pabst Blue Ribbon Hopped Malt
10 lbs sugar
10 gal water
1 cake yeast

It was real strong and I cut sugar in half .
Found John Bull Malt and it was a lot better .
Then started using corn sugar and real beer yeast and was really good !

This was 30 years ago :)

I have just finished tonight a tasting of 2 beers, one fermented with US-04 and the other with fresh bakers yeast. Spoiler warning - The bakers yeast proved the favourite in a triple blind taste test. Full report coming soon...

Back