Recipe thoughts/additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I have been looking at a bunch of different IPA recipes and it seems like sky is the limit as far as variations go. So I figured, why not give my first recipe a try? I was hoping some of the experts here could let me know what they think of this recipe I am tweaking in brew target. Any red flags anyone sees?

Brett's IPA #1
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.9%
Bitterness: 59.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 8 SRM (Mosher)

Grain bill
11 lbs Pale 2-row
8 oz Caramalt 60
8 oz Carapils

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU

Warrior 15.8% 0.750 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 36.2
Amarillo 8.9% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 10.4
Amarillo 8.9% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 6.7
Amarillo 8.9% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 5.4
Cascade 7.5% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 1.0
Cascade 7.5% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 7 days Pellet 0.0

Im thinking of mashing around 153 for 60 mins and boiling for 60 minutes. Thanks in advance for your replies

forgot to add that I just purchased a bunch of hops so I have 4 oz of Warrior, Amarillo, Cascade, Northern Brewer, Fuggles, chinook and willammette if anyone thinks i should sub something in/out. And I have about 44 lbs of 2-row to work with.

Thinking of using nottingham for yeast

So being my first recipe, I was really pleased with the outcome. Definitely my best beer made to date, but hey, maybe I am biased? I think I would tone down the bittering additions a few IBUs and increase the dry hopping to 2 oz instead of 1. Its also a tad dark for my like so next time I will cut down on the 60L or go to a lower lovibond. But overall really pleased. Still waiting to figure out a name for this guy.

My mom tried it and said "Too bitter, I don't think I like this one." Then two, and five minutes after that statement, requested for more sips :)

Here is a pic after a few sips

526-ipa.jpg

Back