recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingC

Reaction score
Hello all. I am fairly new to brewing (have only brewed three batches in the last year) and would like to start up a witbier. I have only brewed extract batches from kits, but I would like to start getting away from kits (even though the last 3 kits I have done turned out excellent). I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a good witbier recipe that you may have brewed before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :mug:

I would say stick with kits for a while, or recipes from experienced brewers. I was in the same boat of wanting to get away from kits, but I ended up making not-so-great-but-drinkable beers. I don't have that sophisticated of a palate, so matching and balancing flavors takes time for me. Until you know how differences in your recipe affect flavor, stick with the kits:)

I will go the opposite and recommend going out on your own instead of kits. Its really not that tough. Look for recipes on sites where you can get a feel if the recipe creater knew what they were doing. Also if you take 6lb extract, steep some grains, and add some hops you will get a drinkable brew as long as you don't go crazy with anything.

And I'll split the difference. Do kits, or, don't do kits. :D

But seriously, one option is to do kits, but make your own additions such as brown sugar, spices, maple syrup, or adding more/different hops, etc.

:mug: I've used the recipes on Bader beer and wine supply. They are all extract with some steeping grains for a little mini-mash. They had clones of a lot of the brews that are popular around my neck of the woods.:mug:

Try out Wild's Blue Moon clone...

Here's the recipe for:

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

Good luck,
Wild

My version was slightly different, but still great (using LME)

3.2kg light LME
1kg honey
1oz hallertau pellet - 60min boil
8g hallertau pellet - steep 10 mins
1oz coriander - 15min boil
1oz orange peel (sweet) 15min boil (from a bulk store's spices section)

boiled the honey last 15min (it was unpasteurized)

Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.5 Gallons
SG: 1.061
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 60 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 5 days
Secondary Fermentation: 7 days

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

I can't remember the exact brand of LME that my LHBS sells, but I know it's a Canadian company's brewing malt extract. "Canada Brewing Malts" or something like that.

Back