Recipe suggestions using left over grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a porter and dunkelweizen fermenting right now but have some extra specialty grains I would like to use for my upcoming extract batch. I haven't decided what recipe to construct using some or all of these left over grains so I was hoping you could give me some suggestions

Here is what we have:

10 oz Chocolate Rye
12.95 oz Carafa III
4 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal
11 oz Simpsons Black
11 oz Simpsons Chocolate

Thanks!

A lot of dark grains you got there. Only thing I could really come up with is a porter (But you already have one) or maybe a black IPA if you pick up some things.

If you want to go a little off the deep end, how about using some of that chocolate rye and Carafa with a Belgian yeast, or German wheat yeast? Could be tasty..

It would be hard to use them all in one beer. The black malt could be used in a stout, or Cascadian dark ale for the color. You could throw together a dark and roasty Barleywine... Or, if you can lager, you could try a Schwartzbier! This recipe has chocolate, carafa, AND black malt https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f60/schwarzbier-based-bcs-took-3rd-110498/

Back