Recipe suggestions for odds-and-ends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensyverson

Reaction score
So, I have a bunch of stuff coming from Seven Bridges, and I figure I should go ahead and use up the last of my non-organic ingredients. Luckily, I should have enough to whip something up... Here's what I have.

3.3 lbs Muntons LME
2 lbs Muntons Extra-Light DME
1 oz Saaz pellets (2.9% AA)
1 oz Saaz pellets (5.9% AA)
1 oz Hallertau pellets (4.2% AA)

I'm thinking that I could just pitch the wort directly onto the yeast cake (wyeast 1214) left after transfering my tripel to the secondary.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to use this as an excuse to experiment with late addition and dry hopping. Would the 2.9% Saaz would be good for dry hopping?

Yeah, that's what I figured, so I thought I might as well use up the low AA Saaz on dry hopping, and save the high AA Saaz for bittering/flavor...

If you used a clean ale yeast or better yet a Lager yeast you could make a nice Pilsner. Use the high AA% saaz as bittering the tett. as the aroma and the lower AA% saaz as the aroma and you could come up with a lower gravity pilsner that would be great during the summer.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
The AA% doesnt matter with dry hopping because your not extracting any oils.

If you would allow me to pick a nit, the AA% does not matter because you only are extracting oils and unisomerized alpha acids from the hops. You have to isomerize those alpha acids to get the bitterness.

And, I agree that those ingredients will whip up a nice, light beer. You cannot really call it a Pilsner, as it has no Pilsner malt in it, but you could call it a blond ale or Kölsch. Or, you could just drink it and enjoy it. :)

TL

you have what you need for a kolsch too, except for the yeast. you really need a kolsch yeast for a Kolsch brew.

Back