Recipe Source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you get your recipes?

• I use prepackaged kits.

• I get them from various internet sources.

• I get them from my books like "clone brews", and etc.

• I formulate my own.

• I get them from a friend.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.

gibfried

Reaction score
Just to satisfy our curiosity...

Let's take a little poll just to see where we get our recipes from.

lately: I pull them out of my butt while referencing Designing Great Beers.

I was not too impressed with my first few "made it up myself" recipes, but I'm getting better at it now and my 80/- in the secondary is definately the best brew I've made in years.

-walker

edit: voted for "formulate my own".

I've been making my own while referencing a number of different sources. It's one of the things that I love about this hobby.

Funny you mentioned that book Walker. I've been chewing on that book for a couple months now and thought I ask the question. My first trial had an off the charts IBU, but I figured out a lot from the mistakes.

Have you checked out that software "ProMash" yet? I downloaded the trial version, and I believe when I've used up the trial I will fork out the cash for the full version.

I used ProMash a couple of times, but it always just lead to concern and worry if I missed the color or ibus or gravity.

I have enough worries as it is, and I don't need some software leading me to more. :)

I even broke my hydrometer a few weeks ago, and I feel very liberated now. I just cook, ferment, bottle, and drink it now and I am a happy man. I do not intend to ever replace the device.

-walker

Other: What do I have in the freezer compartment of the keggerator? Last year, I purchased 40 lbs of "Misc. short fills" of LME. I'm down to 14 lbs now.

Hint: Don't ever take an amber IPA to a brew club meeting, unless you like to listen to purists rag about style violations, while they guzzle your ale!

I'm not sure why, but I always see a recipe or two that catches my fancy in byo. I particularly enjoy brewing them when they clone a beer I like and can acquire, just for comparison's sake.

Speaking of Promash, since I acquired it and have started utilizing it effectively with published recipes, it's given me a lot of confidence to use it to formulate my own. The latest one I tried is an APA which is in primary now...by Sunday I should be able to sip a sample before racking to secondary and dry hopping. I know a lot of people have a knack for recipes and don't need the technological crutch, but for my analytical mind it's been very valuable.

david_42 said:
Other: What do I have in the freezer compartment of the keggerator? Last year, I purchased 40 lbs of "Misc. short fills" of LME. I'm down to 14 lbs now.

Hint: Don't ever take an amber IPA to a brew club meeting, unless you like to listen to purists rag about style violations, while they guzzle your ale!

But doesn't the word "pale" in IPA mean "pale, relative to Porter and Stout"? The BJCP seems to tolerate amber/copper-colored IPAs, especially the English varieties: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category14.html

Or did you mean something else? Next time smack down those trash talkin' freeloaders :)

LupusUmbrus said:
I've been making my own while referencing a number of different sources. It's one of the things that I love about this hobby.

Well said!

Latest posts

Back