recipe scaling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I have had issues with scaling recipes. Everything I read for the most part just says that hop utilization is the big factor. When I try to use the "scale up" on Beersmith, my grain proportions change. It makes me think something is not quite right. When I am going from 5 gal to 10 gal, can I just keep the grain proportions the same til I arrive at the same gravity prediction?

Yes. I don't use BS, so I don't know what it is doing. If you are just trying to make a bigger batch of the same beer (same OG), then proportions should stay the same. Hops should scale linearly too, for all practical purposes, as long as you also scale the volume left in the BK after transferring to primary.

From 5 to 10 gal your utilization won't change much. You should be calculating based on %AA for desired ibu anyway, so scaling hops is a null subject.

Grains will be linear for a larger batch size of the same brew.

Grains are not linear for the same batch size scaled to a different OG.

Back