Recipe Scaling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question on scaling recipes up or down.... I have typically done 5 gallon batches but have built a new rig that will allow me to do 10 gallon batches now. I have searched for different recipes and most of them are for 5 gallons.... my question is can I just double everything and call it good or do I need more or less of certain ingredients to get the same results? I have been brewing for a few years now with probably 25 batches under my belt but have always just done 5 gallons... It is something I have been thinking of and as of yet have not found an answer.

Thanks!

I have a question on scaling recipes up or down.... I have typically done 5 gallon batches but have built a new rig that will allow me to do 10 gallon batches now. I have searched for different recipes and most of them are for 5 gallons.... my question is can I just double everything and call it good or do I need more or less of certain ingredients to get the same results? I have been brewing for a few years now with probably 25 batches under my belt but have always just done 5 gallons... It is something I have been thinking of and as of yet have not found an answer.

Thanks!

Basically, yes. The hops utilization isn't exactly linear, but it's really pretty darn close to just double the ingredients.

Cool thanks! I did a little more searching after posting this thread and have pretty much found the same answers..... this is good information to know.

Latest posts

Back